Honda Twins banner

Have you ever taken a "selfie"??

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I can probably count on both hands how many I've taken, and probably have a finger or two left. Don't find it important to do unless I'm with visiting relatives and there's no one around to take a picture for us. I have mirrors at home, I'm well aware of what I look like :eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I voted no. Must admit though to having tried it once or twice to see what it was all about. Since I only recently got a phone with a camera on both sides, the first attempt captured everything around me but me. :D The other attempt, since I'm old and wear reading glasses when looking at my phone, turned out to capture some unrecognizable old guy I didn't particularly want a picture of! :eek:

I don't do "social media." I'm not trying to impress ANYONE, and the last thing on my mind at this stage of life is trolling for admiring chicks. I have nothing to prove to anyone and little to toot my horn about. Nah, I'll leave the selfie stuff to a younger crowd who enjoy that sort of self-created fame. Have fun with it!

I do truly feel sorrow for the cellphone generation though. In most cases all their life memories are on a silicon chip. When the batteries expire or there is no longer a compatible device they're gonna wish they'd printed a photo of grandma or their kids as babies. :(

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Pretty much all my travel photos with me in them from 25+ years ago are selfies, they were shot on film with a crap instamatic. If there was no one around you trusted, and you actually wanted to be in the picture there wasn't much choice other than holding the camera backwards at arm's length IMG_20191011_114015.jpg

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Does it count when the wife is the one taking the shots? LOL

She's ALWAYS taking them when we're out ANYWHERRE *groans*

·
Registered
125 Posts
I take selfies occasionally, but usually for humor or when the military lets near their big guns :D

@oupa I'm going to disagree about how photos are stored. With just a bit of planning its quite easy to migrate your digital photos to new formats as they come out. And unlike film/prints, I can easily store my photos online "in the cloud" where they're immune to things like flooding and fires that might otherwise destroy physical copies. And digital storage makes it easier for me to keep all my memories in one place. I've taken 13,000 Photos last year for my job, and I can fit them all on a chip the size of a fingernail, where as storing 13,000 physical photos would be nearly impossible.

RUlfT5zl.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most selfies I do are "delete from device" worthy lol. with these smart phones these days you can do that instantaneously, with the old film cameras you had to go and have them processed printed and then get the picture and burn it.. lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
I sometimes take pictures of my wife and me while on holiday. As we prefer "lonely" enviroment for our hikes and walks (we like scandinavia for example) there is often no person around to take the picture.
So I place my camera (a real camera, though digital. You can NOT use it as a phone or external brain) on a wall, tree fork or whatever, aim it at the scene and start the auto/self-timer, hurry to my wife in the hope of a decent picture. Works sometimes :)

I would not call this a "selfie", because selfies imply -for me- to have the picture taken with stretched out arm, using a so-called smartphone and getting a picture filled with 90% of your face as a result.
If this is valid "0" selfies for me - simply because I still don't use a smartphone, but an old fashioned slider type mobile. The battery lasts for 3-4 weeks if its in standby only...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When working as a law dog I ran the county dive team. In 1985 had a chance to do some cold water water near drowning work with the Coast Guard and shot some selfies but other than that no.

Bill

·
Registered
676 Posts
I could count the selfies that I've taken on one or two hands as well, but I've got to vote Yes. I almost never find it important or even like it to have me in the picture. When I'm travelling alone my wife sometimes demands a selfie from me though. But there's one particular selfie that came to my mind, that I REALLY had to do. It's taken in Toronto and you guess why I had to take it...

toronto.jpg

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Moving Pictures! I have that album, and many more by the venerable 3 piece band from the Great White North. Excellent reason for a selfie (or a picture taken of you by someone else, either would do nicely). My cousin was in Arizona a few years back and went to a corner in Winslow for the obvious reason...

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
Moving Pictures! I have that album, and many more by the venerable 3 piece band from the Great White North. Excellent reason for a selfie (or a picture taken of you by someone else, either would do nicely). My cousin was in Arizona a few years back and went to a corner in Winslow for the obvious reason...
He didn't happen to see a ford pickup with a flat bed on it driven by a good looking female did he? ;)

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
He didn't happen to see a ford pickup with a flat bed on it driven by a good looking female did he? ;)
Nope... and it's been so long the girl probably doesn't look as good as she once did, and the flatbed Ford is probably in the junkyard by now :D

·
Registered
757 Posts
@oupa I'm going to disagree about how photos are stored. With just a bit of planning its quite easy to migrate your digital photos to new formats as they come out. And unlike film/prints, I can easily store my photos online "in the cloud" where they're immune to things like flooding and fires that might otherwise destroy physical copies. And digital storage makes it easier for me to keep all my memories in one place. I've taken 13,000 Photos last year for my job, and I can fit them all on a chip the size of a fingernail, where as storing 13,000 physical photos would be nearly impossible.

View attachment 292552
Welllll, given such an opportunity, I might want to have a photo with one of those myself. :grin:

I totally understand regarding the possibility for loss of physical photos. Been there! I also understand all the ever changing methods of digital storage. None of them however answer the question of what happens when the batteries go flat (metaphorically speaking). I know it's showing my age, but I just don't have the faith in the ever presence of electricity (in some form) the later generations seem to. :-?

Personally, I lost hundreds of slides, negatives and photos in a divorce years ago. I was an amataure photogrpher in the 70's and some of the subjects back then would not only be keepsakes but down right of historical value today. Some years back when I picked up a camera again, digital opened windows previously unimaginable to most when using film. It is a quantum leap. Perhaps the greatest is not being restricted to the length of a film roll. I can shoot all day and never miss a shot because I'm changing film or have the wrong speed film for the conditions/shot. Then there are the post production manipulation possibilities! :eek: Things I could not previously accomplish even with a pretty extensive darkroom. I have thousands of photos as well, stored on little pieces of silicon. Every year through, there are some very special ones that get printed simply as keepsakes. Some for display, some just to slip into safe storage and maybe pull out to remember one day in the future. I hope I'm wrong, but my guess is that many more casual cellphone photos are lost than are properly saved. Having lost such memories myself, I just find that sad.

With sincere apologies for the hijack, I now return you to the previous thread. :cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
For sure, a lot of people probably don't take simple precautions with their digital photos. I do agree having physical copies is nice, part of my job is making a metric ton of photo prints (The military looooves photos). I've dabbled a bit with film photography and even home developing, and while I like the challenge and working within the restrictions film presents, the thought of having to do it constantly as part of my job makes me extremely happy with digital imaging. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts