Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a vial of candy gold concentrate today and started to test working with it. Right off the tall but narrow vial likes to be on it's side not upright-what a mess! My assumption was to make it up thin and use multiple coats. I used an aluminum base coat--then a silver pearl for flake coat --then layered the candy in a urethane clear finishing coat. The first thing is if the candy coats are the least bit uneven I get darker and lighter coloration. I tried to put less on the dark areas in the subsequent coats, it did help. I'm also worried about the match when I go for the tank and two side covers. Any tips would be a big help.
P.S. Unless the tank I'm working on was ever repainted with Alsa Candy Concentrate-"True Gold"--the Alsa can be made into a daggum good match for 1974 Honda!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Candy cover coats are difficult to get on evenly......You gotta have the 'touch'.... been spraying for years and still send the candy work out to a pro.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
66Sprint said:
Candy cover coats are difficult to get on evenly......You gotta have the 'touch'.... been spraying for years and still send the candy work out to a pro.....
The biggest tip i can give is to do all parts together and mix more than you will need of all the coats. I used a light base primer then two wet coats of corse metal flake followed by one light dry coat of metal flake, this will allow the metal to stand up giving better colour refraction/reflection.
Let that dry completely (oven helps) then mixed the candy with two pac clear top coat and applied even coats onto everything without overlap. The candy needs to be built up slowly and allowed to "flash off" between coats. Keep a sample of the finished "hue" on hand so that you don't over do it, when the right hue is achieved allow to dry and finish off with 2-3 clear "only" top coats, this will give you something to polish if require and makes light scratches easily fixed.
If all go well it should look like this :D My CB450 K2, it's a little dark but that is the hue i wanted ;)

rod from OZ

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
CB200 said:
Rod-What do you think of a trace of flake in the candy for extra sparkle?
Sounds great :) but very hard to get an even coverage as the flake settles and needs to be constantly stired. The Ideal behind the candy is that the light passes through the candy dye and reflects off the flake back through the dye giving the effect.
Extra flake in the candy will add to the effect but i would be concerned about even coverage as it will be noticeable. What i have done in the past is use a medium/course flake for the base coats and the finial "dry" metallic use a heavy "large" flake. This gives of massive colour but without the visual heavy flakes being seen. Remember that i have been doing this for a while and it comes down to the "eye" of the sprayer as to what is enough and knowing when to stop. :)

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rod: I was of the opinion that a dry final flake coat would make the flakes less 2 dimentional and thus more sparkley and was going to experiment- but that seems to be confirmed. It also helps because any degree of sagging in the flake coats causes the flakes to loose their randomness-- dry coats don't sag. I like what you said about a final dry large flake "dusting" I would presume. I was thinking of an added flash to the side covers and the sides of the tank but not the tank top as that would result in eye strain. What you've added makes it sound just like what I was shooting for. How much larger a flake above pearl can be pulled off with it being "stealth" like you've indicated?

P.S. Electrical problems require a padded hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
CB200 said:
Thanks Rod: I was of the opinion that a dry final flake coat would make the flakes less 2 dimentional and thus more sparkley and was going to experiment- but that seems to be confirmed. It also helps because any degree of sagging in the flake coats causes the flakes to loose their randomness-- dry coats don't sag. I like what you said about a final dry large flake "dusting" I would presume. I was thinking of an added flash to the side covers and the sides of the tank but not the tank top as that would result in eye strain. What you've added makes it sound just like what I was shooting for. How much larger a flake above pearl can be pulled off with it being "stealth" like you've indicated?

P.S. Electrical problems require a padded hammer.
Sorry i should have explained this a little, the dusting of large flake is over the two wet coats of course flake. the issues with flake is that it moves, so need to be "staged" i.e allowed to flash off/settle/harden if it's added to clear and you get a sag/run the flake will buildup in a line that is a pain to fix, :cry: if left will look like crap :|
As for putting flake on the top of the tank, I say go for it, I've never had a problem with to much "bling" and trying to fade the different flake in will cause you heart ache and if not done perfectly will be obvious.

Get an old tank do a rufffff prep, prime and try different styles on it, learn as you go :D

Rod from OZ :cool: , I've never seen a white winter (Christmas)

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
What ever happened to "stir it up with a stick and slop it on with a roller"? :?:

Maybe that's just for Harleys. :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts