Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully there is someone from Georgia on here who may be able to point me in the right direction...
So I just purchased a '72 CB450 that was assembled from at least 2 separate bikes. Different VIN on the frame and engine. Naturally there is no title so I have the BOS. I had a police officer over not too long ago to fill out the certification of inspection and he couldn't find either VIN in the GA system. He told me I need to try to find out from the guy who put it together where the parts bikes came from in order for an officer to do a targeted VIN search. Is this true? I have a feeling the guy I bought it from will have no idea where the bikes came from and if that's the case what do I do then?
I plan on calling the Dept. of Revenue tomorrow for some guidance, but right now I'm worried I'll be SOL and have to part the bike out to try and recoup some of my money.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Well, the frame and engine numbers rarely, if ever, match, so that's not an issue; the next problem is the frame number doesn't match the standard for a VIN, so a standard VIN search will likely not find it. You may have luck using the linked search site, if it accepts pre-VIN serial numbers.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Greetings from far NW GA! You will get all your questions answered at the Tax office, but the officer should have completed a form (I don't recall the #) for you and checked -on the spot- if it was reported stolen. If it's clean, you're good to go. The BOS is also a required form, and last I heard, the vehicle must be registered (and taxed) within 30 days of date of purchase shown on the BOS, or a penalty will be applied. No title is required and none will be issued for pre 1986 motorcycles (and maybe cars, trucks, etc.) here in GA.

I'm wondering what a 'targeted VIN search' is. I don't recall hearing that before. It could be some recent change, or the officer is misinformed. As I recall, their only search is for stolen vehicles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greetings from far NW GA! You will get all your questions answered at the Tax office, but the officer should have completed a form (I don't recall the #) for you and checked -on the spot- if it was reported stolen. If it's clean, you're good to go. The BOS is also a required form, and last I heard, the vehicle must be registered (and taxed) within 30 days of date of purchase shown on the BOS, or a penalty will be applied. No title is required and none will be issued for pre 1986 motorcycles (and maybe cars, trucks, etc.) here in GA.

Maybe the officer was misinformed? I'm not sure he realized how old the bike is and any search with the VIN will come up invalid anywhere. The officer said he had only done a couple motorcycles so there's that. The sole purpose of the T-22B form is to see that it's not reported stolen in GA right? Guess I just need to try and find an officer with more experience with these older bikes.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
First..not every person wearing a badge knows what they are supposed to ...
TRUST ME!!!
Simple, all the officer does is "run the vin" through NCIC/GCIC.. it is the national / Georgia data base.. if it showed up in the system, at one point if may have been repeorted stolen.. even if recovered, it will still be in the data base..
He most likely didn't run it for Ga. registration. With the new database, a title is no longer required. This can shun a possible buyer with "old" ways...The good thing is a bill of sale will suffice ..along with the vin verification.
This also applies to the people at the Registration office... when I went for my Triumph, the lady (no joke) tells me.."that vin # is incorrect.... it doesn't have enough numbers..." basically there were empty "boxes" on her computer screen.
I had to expaine to her "it is from England, and it's 50 years old.. the Britts didn't follow the U.S. with its vehicle registration system".... believe it or not.. she couldn't comprehend any of it..
I left pissed off and tell her "Mc Donald's is hiring....
I had to call Atlanta, and go assistance from someone with antique / vintage vehicle experience..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if he ran the VIN and it couldn't be found then that's good and he should be able to fill out the form with a clear conscience? The officer yesterday ran both VINs and couldn't find anything for either so he didn't want to fill out the form. I'm just trying to get all the info I can before I call them back out here to get this thing done.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
He will get a response from his dispatcher "negative hits"...or if he has a MOBILE DATA TERMINAL (computer in his car).. it will show the same. I think you either got a rookie, or someone that doesn't understand how this is done.
I may be "showing my cards" with this information...
it's not rocket surgery...
Try this.. call your local police station or officer (with experience).. tell them your looking at purchasing a motorcycle on eBay.. ask if he can run the vin# to see if it is stolen.. 90% of the time it isn't an issue... our local "TAG" (registration taxes) office usually has an off duty officer there doing just this .. some police stations actually offer this service (on certain days) at their Pcts.
Make some calls.. see if u can get an officer (seasoned and knowledgeable) to help u out...

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Just to verify, the number he is running is off the frame neck and starts with CB450-XXXXXXX correct? It is also etched into the frame. CB450E-XXXXXXX is NOT the identification number, it is the engine number, titles show the frame ID number.

As previously stated, non matching engine number doesn't matter.

I lived in Ga. until 2013 when my company relocated me. One time I had a cop come out and fill out the form so I could tag it. They needed to visually verify the ID plate, run the ID number and fill out the form. I waited longer for them to arrive than it did to get it filled out. As others have stated you need to either take it to your local police station and get someone knowledgeable about older bikes or request an officer to come out who is knowledgeable about older bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As suspected the officer who came out last night was a rookie at this. After a call to the county tax commissioner I felt confident enough to try again. A different officer came over who seemed to know what he was doing. Long story short, success and now I'm sitting in the tag office waiting my turn.
Thank you, everyone, for all the help and advice!

·
Registered
641 Posts
As suspected the officer who came out last night was a rookie at this. After a call to the county tax commissioner I felt confident enough to try again. A different officer came over who seemed to know what he was doing. Long story short, success and now I'm sitting in the tag office waiting my turn.
Thank you, everyone, for all the help and advice!
Bro, that is good to hear, sorry that link did not work for you. But thanks to other members encouragement, your legal to ride that baby?
I wished it was that simple here in wisconsin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts