Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where have people gone to find replacement seat foam? My CL350 K0 seat foam is completely dried up.
If I cannot find a replacement I think I am going to be forced to find seat foam and cut the overall shape/width of the seat. Does any one know how tall the stock foam is?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I get mine from a boat supply house.
There are also folks on EBay that sell seat foam, the good stuff ain't cheap.
Comes in all sorts of thicknesses and firmness - thin sheets can be glued up to be thicker.........

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tbpmusic said:
Comes in all sorts of thicknesses and firmness - thin sheets can be glued up to be thicker.........
Bummer, only found stuff for 450s and 750s on ebay. I contacted one of the sellers to see if he has or can get CL350 foam. Also the K0 seat cover seems difficult to find. All of the ones that people sell for the K0 are not actual K0 seat covers.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
By the way - I sent my seat from my Bomber (which looked great) to have the foam replaced by a woman in California. I expect it to come back soon. She built up the foam in pieces (like a skeleton) just as the original foam was done. I couldn't find anybody else that does this. I should be getting my seat back soon, and I'll report how it came out. The foam in the old one was dry and crumbling - I'm sure they all are.

You might try and get in touch with Ray mdclips and see how his seat turned out

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
This does not specifically answer your question but I did a quick read of the site and there is some good info here about motorcycle seats.

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MaaseyRacer said:
tbpmusic said:
Bummer, only found stuff for 450s and 750s on ebay. I contacted one of the sellers to see if he has or can get CL350 foam. Also the K0 seat cover seems difficult to find. All of the ones that people sell for the K0 are not actual K0 seat covers.
Oh, I see, you're looking for a specific foam replacement - I was talking about raw foam, sorry.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had a later model CB350 I would probably try my hand at cutting my own foam, but the K0 CL350 has a very specific seat and it would not look right without it.

Does anyone know of a good shop with reasonable prices who can recreate a CL350 K0 seat, foam and cover?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MaaseyRacer said:
Does anyone know of a good shop with reasonable prices who can recreate a CL350 K0 seat, foam and cover?
Hah - if there were good shops with reasonable prices, this newsgroup wouldn't even exist........

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to a local upholstery shop on Monday, they are not sure that they can do it, but they will check it out. Still would rather buy a replica foam seat and cover, but the covers I have seen are not right.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Seat foam for the '68 CL350, a subject near and dear to my heart. Here is a little bit of my experience.

This is how my seat looked when I got it.

Probably like yours, mine was matted down although the cover was in reasonable shape. When I sat on the seat it wasn't bad but I really wanted a period correct, restored seat. I called around to quite a few motorcycle speciality shops trying to find the "aligator skin" type of cover. No one I talked to had the proper looking cover material but a couple said they could do the foam. I ended up getting a cover off eBay but it wasn't the correct texture although it had the proper trim piping, the Honda name on the back and the strap. I ended up taking it to a guy that works out of his house in San Antonio and he said to give him a couple of days and he'd set me up. Additionally, he said he could get the proper texture material and he would remove the panel on the back of the seat that had the HONDA name and stitch it on. I told him I needed the seat to be firm and he said, "no problem". When I came back to pick it up it looked good and for $250 (plus the '$60 cost of the original cover) I was expecting a great ride.

I mounted the seat and immediately found it to be waaaaayyyyyy to soft. I rode the bike for a few days but after 30 miles I couldn't get off the bike fast enough. I ended up going to the local upholstery foam shop and picked out the firmest 2" green foam I could find. It felt firm at the sales counter so I took it home.

I took the foam and the seat back to the guy that did the previous work and told him how uncomfortable the cream colored foam was that he used and asked him to use this "green stuff". He agreed and did the work for me while I waited; another $100.

Here is what I ended up with.

The seat looks pretty good although it might appear to be a tad thick. I got home and put the newly foamed seat on and it was better but it's still soft. I can now ride for a full tank of fuel (80 miles) but numb butt is the price I pay and I can feel the seat pan on my butt after a short while.

A year or so ago I visited another CL350 owner who had built his own seat that looked great. We had quite a few email conversations and I was convinced he knew what he was talking about and I wanted to see and sit on his creation.

The guy is a real craftsman and his seat was perfect both in appearance and firmness. Here is what his seat looks like.

Rhett found some pink foam that is very dense and he thought it would work well but I think he found it too soft also.

Here is a picture of the final seat and here is a link to all the pictures I took of his bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/6453635/Rhett#

I'm going off memory here and I might be wrong but I think in the end, Rhett used some carpet foam and but it up with a few layers. Here is the template he used (and covered) as a mock up for his final version. You can see where he cut and glued various pieces but the shape is excellent, it has the right thickness and the carpet foam gives it the density it needs. It doesn't look like much here but Rhett gave me this piece and I plan on using some very thin upholstery matting on it then recovering it with my existing seat if I can salvage it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow mike, that is amazing. Exactly what I am looking for. My seat cover is torn badly and the foam is practically disintegrated.
$250 sounds reasonable to me, and is within budget. Do you happent to have the contact info for the guy who did your seat? Do you happen to remember the ebay sellers name with the seat? I do not really care if the foam is green, red, or cream colored, but I would like to be able to ride it for some time with out complaint. So I guess firmness is key.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
MaaseyRacer said:
Wow mike, that is amazing. Exactly what I am looking for. My seat cover is torn badly and the foam is practically disintegrated.
$250 sounds reasonable to me, and is within budget. Do you happent to have the contact info for the guy who did your seat? Do you happen to remember the ebay sellers name with the seat? I do not really care if the foam is green, red, or cream colored, but I would like to be able to ride it for some time with out complaint. So I guess firmness is key.
The color of the foam indicates firmness that's the only reason I mention color.

Here is a link to the eBay ad where I got the seat cover. Note in the picture of the '68 CL seat cover that it is smooth and that is how mine came. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CL350-Re ... 1226wt_939

I've long since lost the name of the guy that did my work but any competent shop in your area should be able to handle it. The key is to get them the cover and spec out the required foam. Here is an excellent site that talks about seat foam and how to "roll your own" seat. http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/foam_basics.htm

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My major complaints about our particular seats (after years of messing with them) is that our seat pans are a highly irregular shape, onto which you're trying to impose a smooth regular surface.

The seat cover part is pretty straight-ahead to install, but the foam is what separates the men from the boyz.......

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MNellis said:
Here is a link to the eBay ad where I got the seat cover. Note in the picture of the '68 CL seat cover that it is smooth and that is how mine came. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CL350-Re ... 1226wt_939
Awesome, I contacted this seller last night and he sent me some better images this morning. Here they are. The only reason I bring this up is that you mentioned a smooth cover. How similar is this to what you originally got? Or is it the same?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
MaaseyRacer said:
MNellis said:
Here is a link to the eBay ad where I got the seat cover. Note in the picture of the '68 CL seat cover that it is smooth and that is how mine came.
Awesome, I contacted this seller last night and he sent me some better images this morning. Here they are. The only reason I bring this up is that you mentioned a smooth cover. How similar is this to what you originally got? Or is it the same?
whoooa, those are some big pictures. That is the smooth texture I was talking about and if you're ok with the non-stock look then it will probably work great for you. The cover seems to be well made and should last a long time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike your right, after looking at photos of old K0s, it is not right. I am going to have to track down the right cover and material. As well as the foam which is becoming harder than I expected it would be. Does any one know the density rating of stock Honda seat foam?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I called and talked to Bob when I was first messing with my seat. His web site is much improved from what I remember.
Bob was a good guy to talk to and he sent me some sample materials on the condition that I return them (which I did).

Unfortunately, he did not have the correct seat material for the '68 CL350 seat either which is why I didn't use him this time.
At the time I didn't know that finding the correct seat foam would be such a pain but when I talked with Bob I asked a generic question
about the foam and he just said, "it wouldn't be a problem". He seemed to know what he was talking about so I didn't ask further questions.
I've since learned that when people say, "it won't be a problem" they don't always know what they're talking about and/or what my expectation is.
Seats are a peculiar thing and a lot like suspension; we sometimes know what we want, don't know how to put it together ourselves and have trouble
communicating our expectations/desires to those that might be able to help.

I would probably use Bob in the future if the need arises.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts