Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I recently brought a CB450s over from Austria, It had been stood 2 years! I cleaned out the tank, changed the air filter, oil and oil filter! Put a new battery on, fresh fuel changed the plugs and on inspecting them they looked remarkably good with correct colouration at the tips! Turned the bike over a few times to get the oil circulating the threw the kill switch and with some choke fired it up,. A little stuttering and it came to life! It runs well and revs without a misfire! However I think i should give the carbs a clean but do not wish to dismantle the carbs!
I live in Mallorca Spain and keep reading suggestions of using Seafoam! I presume this is a carb/fuel additive/cleaner, however as I've never seen this product in Spain or the UK! Perhaps somebody can enlighten me where it can be obtained is it any good as an alternative to stripping down the carbs?

Just found out I can get Seafoam from Amazon.de, There seam to be cheaper products around, however Ive ordered a can asI have other bikes it can be used in. Thanks for your replies and I await the product.

Regards Busby

·
Registered
725 Posts
I always try Seafoam first and had good luck with it, but if a carb is really gummed up it needs cleaning. It doesn't sound like you have a serious blockage. On something that has been sitting a long time, I drain the carbs and fill them with Seafoam through the fuel line, let it sit and then drain the Seafoam. I'm in Canada and you can get it at any automotive supply and most hardware stores. It may solve the problem or it may not but it is cheap and less work if it does work.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I haven't found Sea Foam to be a magic pill for all things carb related but it can be good as preventive medicine, especially in cases like yours. If your bike sat for a couple of years it has some degree of lacquer in the passages. Sea Foam (and other products) can clean this out so it is less likely to develop into a problem.

We have several European members here who will likely be along to advise where Sea Foam may be found or what similar products may be available near you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gas-Shok made by USA Fuel Service LLC is far and away the best fuel treatment out there bar none. I say this after using Seafoam, Staybil, Starbrite for years and years and had always returning to Seafoam. Now for more than 12 years I have been using Gas-Shok exclusively and it is simply amazing how well it performs. In our vehicles that use "road" fuel I do an ethanol clean out at least 4 times a year and other than daily drivers every other vehicle/equipment gets "recreation" fuel with a marine dose of Gas-Shok. You will be amazed it is not "just" a fuel stabilizer/ethanol treatment.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Here is what I am discovering, what may be a great thing (chemical based product) here, maybe totally different in another part of the country or all together different country.. even something as simple as fuel or it's additives.. so what may work in my neck of the woods on my gas/fuel residue..may work differently where u r..

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
The main ingredient in Seafoam is naptha, a cleaning solvent. Acetone and lacquer thinner are excellent solvents for dissolving gum and varnish, fill the float bowls and start the engine(it burns just fine).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will add that i live in coastal Florida, hot and humid, fuel tanks left half full will always generate some kind of precipitation if road fuel is in them, the hygroscopic properties of ethanol are what they are regardless of venue but temp swings and relative humidity may make a big difference. Most of my fuel additive experience stems from having had 4 stroke outboard motors exclusively since 1997, that and having standby generators being a necessary fact of life here on the coast of Florida. In addition to fuel additives I also drain the carb bowl(s) whenever possible for even mid term storage. Not letting fuel evaporate cuts way down on the varnishing of orifices, for fuel injection applications a Raycor fuel filter/water separator is a valuable asset, not a likely addition to a motorcycle though, lol.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've always had very good results with Techron. Brought back my '79 CM400 and an '07 Kawi 500 after about 50 miles. This is a Chevron product available in most auto supply stores. IIRC, Techron is the additive Chevron uses in their gas.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would atleast drop and flush out the bowls and fuel tank.. add fuel filters to the lines THEN run a coupe tanks of fuel .. one small piece of crap getting stirred up or into those jets and you will be chasing that gremlin..
Oh.. you may concider changing the fuel likes also .. they may look ok from the outside.. but the fuel can break it down on the inside...oh, you will chase that gremlin for a while .. ask me how I know IMG_4986.jpg

·
Registered
309 Posts
^Rob that is yet another reason why I stick to the clear-type fuel lines. I like having the visibility of line degradation or particles running through the lines. The downside to the clear fuel lines is that they eventually yellow, become very hard and brittle, and must be replaced after about 2 riding seasons or so (at least that has been my experience.)

Being that the fuel systems on these twins are so basic, replacing about 14"-16" of fuel line every 2 years is a small price to pay IMO.

As to the OP's point, I would agree with what others have said here. Give the fuel system a good flush, fill the float bowls with your additive of choice, and run some fresh gas through the bike and you should be just fine. Sounds like you had a bit of good luck with a well-cared-for engine from the previous owner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mike, I will do that and stand well back from the exhausts when it fires up!!
The main ingredient in Seafoam is naptha, a cleaning solvent. Acetone and lacquer thinner are excellent solvents for dissolving gum and varnish, fill the float bowls and start the engine(it burns just fine).

·
Registered
21 Posts
To me, If you own one these old cabureted bikes, you need to be able to dismantle and clean/adjust the carburetors. (Says the guy who just rebuilt his and put the throttle plates in backwards). Get a factory service manual and dig in! Seafoam is not likely going to magically clean everything in your carbs.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
To be truthful, that fuel line DID NOT come off a motorcycle... it came off my lawnmower. Had carb issues, fuel/no fuel, fuel continually pouring out. Blah blah blah.. after TRYING to cut off fuel flow with clamping plyers, and fuel STILL pouring out.. I dug deeper. Discovering the interior walls of the fuel line to be deteriorated. I attribute this to fuel and weather, this mower sat out year round, but mostly fuel.
Not gonna get on my non-ethanol fuel soap box, but as you can see where the "barb" from the carb kept fuel from contacting the line.. it is not broken down...
I also use clear fuel lines on my bikes.. even WITH fuel filters you can see minute particles settle at the bottom of the fuelline (fuel tank crap/rust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts