Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you guys use this stuff - Ray, I think I've heard you talk about it??

Wondering what your personal experiences were with it, and how exactly you used it.....

thanks -

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
My, (and my customer's) experiences.... It's ok to put a little in the fuel (But why?, just keep water OUT of the tank) Might be acceptable for storage times, but I prefer Sta-Bil..... DO NOT put any in the oil as it makes the clutches slip..... JMHO....However, there will be those who SWEAR by it....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I like to use it after cleaning carbs, first couple of tanks of fuel seems to wash out the last of the varnish in those hidden nooks and crannies, its main ingredient is alcohol which bonds with both water and gasoline (think ethonol) but it does seem to work well

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't used it in a motorcycle yet but I've freed up some stuck rings with it. If you're wanting a good carb/combustion chamber cleaner, Lucas makes a fuel treatment (link) that is supposed to work better than SeaFoam and cost around $4. I've been meaning to get some of that as a mechanic friend of mine liked it so much, he bought a whole case of it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I honestly believe Seafoam doesn't do anything that good clean gas from a good gas station can't do. {Chevron with Techron.}
If you put too much Seafoam and let it sit too long, you will have a smoke show out of your exhaust system until it burns off. :roll:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Seafoam works great as an upper intake cleaner. It does very well if put in the vacuum lines. You have to keep the revs up as it doesn't burn well. It cleaned up my upper intake on my Ranger really well. It's a good parts cleaner for burnt on carbon, on valves and such and cleans up old sticky PCV valves nicely. I'd NEVER put it in the oil. That'd be foolish IMHO. Who wants to thin their oil with a solvent?? In the fuel is ok, but be sure to top it off first with high test.

I have seen it make a riding mower run ten times better, in person, just by pouring it very slowly though the carb while running at higher rpms.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I'd NEVER put it in the oil. That'd be foolish IMHO. Who wants to thin their oil with a solvent??
Like most oil flushes, you're supposed to drain it out after you use it, not drive with it in the oil for 3000 miles. :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If you want to use a product to clean your engine internals then why not use a high detergent engine oil? That makes more sense than thinning the oil with solvent risking damage to bearings, cam followers, etc.. Plus you cun run it as long as you desire.

Even using a quart of tranny fluid to 4-5 quarts of oil makes more sense than Seafoam in oil. IF you're gonna drain it soon that is.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i put a few ounces every thrid fill up on my silverwing, i dont know if it works or not just do it because tooooo many people swear by it. I have never heard of putting in oil even though it says you can.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It kicks gasolines ass! Lowers your octane rating severely. But if removing carbon build-up is your thing then run with it.

I'd say it's only necessary after winter storage.. Or when bringing a bike back from the dead.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't use it in oil, or gas for that matter, a lot of risk involved there.

BUT, I have used it several times in the vacuum lines on motorcycles and cars with very impressive results. There may be better stuff out there, that is pretty much always the case, it goes with the same argument that, "which is the best oil to use" nobody can really answer that.

But I will say in the vacuum lines it works great, most of the time. In my ascot, it did nothing and that engine was never worked on. But was still rather clean when I put it in there. The CL, well it did a little bit, I could see in the carbs where it helped a little when I took them off, and the bike "seemed" to idle better. On my 240sx, absolute NIGHT AND DAY, that was only after all the smoke had cleared and the fire department had left (not kidding!). Don't do it at a gas station with a car!

I would say one of the best things you can do it to run good gas and good oil. and every once in a while run an engine treatment. Then you don't really have to worry about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Found it while reading some ADVrider post.....I did use it in my Honda BigRed 250E 1987 ATV..... :eek: wow!!! that thing was a mess to start before and now.....happy joy...

So I put this stuff in generous quantity into my 2001 GS BMW every start of the season ( I let it "cook" ) several days stagnant in the tank. I usually will add the SeaFoam while my gas tank is almost empty. This stuff seems to creep slowly into the injection system. I do that 2-3 times per season...Miraculous!! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts