Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know seafoam thins oil. I read in some previous posts on here that there is such a thing as detergent oil. The reason i ask is somewhat of a long story but i have a hard shifting problem. I think this is due to gunk on the cogs of the tranny shafts.

I know it could have other causes, but i tore the whole motor down and replaced nearly every worn trans components to fix a shifting problem on my bike.

Now, i found little chunks of gunk in the oil i drained out of a recently rebuilt motor, i think the gunk is all over the inside of the motor.

Is there any seafoam alternative, or a safe way to use it in the oil?

Run seafoam and a thicker oil like 30W to compensate the solvents in seafoam, or is there a safer alternative
Could ATF work, i read that on here, but may be misunderstood
Thanks for looking gents
sincerely
-Dan from south jersey

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Did you closely inspect the shift forks for wear? Also the shift drum?? I just don't see "gunk" being the problem..

I'm not too knowledgable on transmissions but others here are pretty good with them..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was always under the impression that before you change your oil, you should top it off with a little seafoam if it's down. Run the bike for about 30mins to an hour, and change out the oil.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shift forks are fine, same with the shift drum. There are chunks of gunk in the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts