Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it says on the can of seafoam that you can add some (a little, 1 ounce / quart) to the crankcase prior to an oil change to help clean out some of the sludge. I'm planning on changing the oil this week-end at the latest, it's time, so I poured a little under an ounce in there this afternoon (I think it's under the recommended dose since there is about 1.6 qt of oil I believe), knowing that I should use my bike at most 4 times this week to go to work. That's about 80 miles. Is that too much running the engine with slightly more fluid oil than normal? Should I change the oil before that? Or is it OK? I haven't done the math but it doesn't seem like it's a huge % of the total volume so viscosity should not change that much, but I'm not 100% sure... actually I just did, 1.6 quart ~ 51 ounces. So I guess there's 2% of seafoam in there...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
It'll probably be ok, did you read the dipstick before adding the seafoam? If you see a drop or two of oil seepage anywhere this will be why.

Its probably a very good idea considering these bikes don't have an oil filter.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was at the normal level. The oil didn't look too bad either, it's starting to darken (4,000 miles) but nothing too horrible. I probably should have changed the oil when I got the bike back in October but it looked really clean and it only had like 2,300 miles or so, so it seemed overkill. From now on I'll probably do it every 6 months, I think that's what the FSM calls for (or every 4k I think). Just ordered a gallon of GN4, just what is recommended in the FSM. $30... that should last me two oil changes, not bad...

It's got no oil filter but it does have some sort of screen to kind of act as a filter, right? I was going to clean it, I think it's part of the 4k maintenance...

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
4,000 miles and it's right at 4,000. Mine's a 2007.

Just noticed I don't have to clean the oil screen. :-D That's nice because I don't think I'll have time this week-end and it looks pretty involved! :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts