Honda Twins banner

Sanding fork tubes...clear coat?

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  fillmarr 
#1 ·
Hello!

Second day of warm weather up here...back on the project. I just sanded down my old semi-corroded, aluminum front fork tubes and they are looking pretty damn good all things considered. My questions is, as a second step, clear coat or just hit it with aluminum polish?

I know that sanding the aluminum isn't a perfect solution, but that's what I did anyway. Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil

#3 ·
if you start sanding with 600 and finish with 1500 or higher you can then polish them up with a high speed buffer. Mine were a little corroded also but came out nice and shiny. I just keep them polished with some mothers alum paste here and there to keep them fresh looking. Clear coat after awhile tends to yellow.

#4 ·
I assume you're talking about the sliders, not the fork tubes. I'd wet sand them with some really fine sandpaper to take out the scratches and then polish them with a good aluminum polish like Autosol, MAAS, Simichrome, etc. If the bike isn't left out in the weather, the shine will last quite a long time, and it's easy to refresh it from that point on.

Tire Spoke Vehicle Automotive tire Rim

#7 ·
I had the same question 4 years ago. I wasn't sure what to do so I decided to wait and see how they held up before I sprayed clear. I figured worst case, they'd just need a light repolish before clear. I hit them occasionally with Mothers and they still look like 83XLX's pic.

BTW, I'm sad to admit that the bike winters in a carport under a cover. I do the best I can, but it doesn't stay in my dream, climate controlled garage!

#8 ·
Wow — Thanks everyone!

I sanded mine down all the way to 1000 grit (didn’t have 1500) and polished with Mother’s. They look awesome. I should have done this to my engine....

Anyway, I just ran out of the 2k clear, but maybe I’ll do that again another day. These look great, and I’ll keep them clean until the winter/project season. Goal is to get this puppy on the road ASAP...having to cut some corners in the aesthetics dept for now.

Will post pics later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.