Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey yall..I cant find anything online on this.

Back story:
I finally got my 72 cl350 back from a POS ex who was holding in for ransom after a breakup. The bike was intentionally left uncovered and out in the elements for 5 months (in Texas).

Before that, the gas tank had 0 rust and surprisingly looked in great shape. There was little gas left in it also. i digress. I accidentally found that it had been returned tonight and left near my apartments trash area where people leave what isnt trash but usually whats up for grabs.

Anyway, i did a once over and decided to kick it over and it wasnt seized so thats a start. but when i checked the gas tank, to my surprise, the whole gas tank was covered in a pink sticky film all up the walls up to the cap. what is this. i cant find the cause anywhere online. could he have put something in there to sabotage me and the bike? ive never hear of this happening. i know leaving the gas in there can be bad for so long but... its literally looks like the inside was painted with a magenta sticky lacquer.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
RE

Hi Spirograph, thats exactly what it looks like. Ive heard of this stuff now that ive been researching what changes the inside to look this pink. Its strange because it didnt have that liner before, and under the circumstances I was told the bike would be messed up before I got it back (which goes against what Red-Kote does. Anyway. I am still highly suspicious something was done to the bike to mess with it. IE this dude is likely to add something to make it appear like he helped but we will see once i get in there. Thank You

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
I’d check to make sure it isn’t in your fuel lines, but otherwise i think the worst it can do is peel off and clog the petcock filter.

Acetone or MEK will take it off, btw; abrasion (like with a bunch of nuts tossed into the tank) will help scrub it clean while you’ve got the acetone or MEK in there. Leave it in for a day or two and shake it around a bunch. MEK is gnarly stuff though, you’ll need good PPE - I’m told it goes through standard nitrile gloves.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd use a power washer. Fast, easy, non toxic. Drain after washing and set it on the pavement, in the sun with the cap off.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Red Kote gets sort of bleached out by unleaded (especially with ethanol) fuel.
No reason to remove it unless it's peeling away somewhere, it's good stuff.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Red Kote gets sort of bleached out by unleaded (especially with ethanol) fuel.
No reason to remove it unless it's peeling away somewhere, it's good stuff.
I'll second this. I've used Redkote without problems. If the person didn't do a good job of it, didn't let it cure, etc., then you might have problems. Redkote will also turn fuel pink for a while but it's just color and never affected how my bikes ran.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If they applied it with the petcock attached, you may have a fun time cleaning that out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi yall, after further inspection, it is in fact paint. i had multiple people look at it, professional and moto enthusiasts. its was made to look like the the red kote so he knew what he was doing. I applied a lite coat of nail polish remover w a cotton swab and it rubbed off in a sec. plus the "paint" was still tacky when I found the bike, only a few hours after it was dropped off... so the fact that it was still wet was suspicious. plus he would never ever do something that would help since the bike was held for ransom and he thought i was trying to sell it = SABATOGE.

so now i have a nice little project for the weekend.

on a side not - would any of you actually file a police report or chalk it up as a loss?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think i can get MKE in texas?? im going to fill it with laquor thinner and let it sit. thank you for your advice. I needed a reason to start working on this bike since its my first one and didnt know where to start.. haha this is now motivating me to get it started..

·
Registered
554 Posts
That's...devious. Gas will eat through that pretty quick, and I can't imagine it'd be any good for your engine dissolved into the gas. Honestly, I do a full media blackout on my exes when things go to hell :D so I say clean the tank, go over the bike with a fine tooth comb to make sure nothing more dangerous was done, and then never speak to them again. Treat it like you just bought it from an unknown PO.

The solution might be to fill it with a couple of gallons of gas and let it sit for a week, then...drain it at your local hazmat (yeah, that part's inconvenient, but a couple gallons is a lot to dump, and I wouldn't put it in my truck after that...). Any strong solvent will do it, though. Sorry to hear about that sh*tstorm, some people's kids...

·
Registered
572 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Wow that's just crazy, thankfully they weren't smart enough to use gray or silver paint and wipe the rim of the filler off.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
would any of you actually file a police report or chalk it up as a loss?
as a victim of paint remover poured on 6 month old Imron black and new vinyl top on my '70 Monte Carlo by a scumbag jealous ex-husband as he left town in the late '70s, and having called the cops to report it as well as him being in possession of drugs on his way back to Miami from Tampa with no action taken in any way... I wouldn't bother, not likely to do much good in the end - and the last thing you want is a range war

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im sure they wanted it to be known what they did (as a final f you). And even more devious to make it look like red kote. Just messed up all around. Im glad i finally have the bike back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts