Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I was slacking on creating a project thread, but I'm finally here. Picked up my first bike, this running and driving '74 CL360 with 27k miles about a month ago and have been taking my time tearing it apart and learning as I go. My goal for this bike is to restore it to all it's mechanical glory, while making some appearance modifications. This is my first project, so I'm going to be taking it slow, and hopefully learning a lot along the way.

The first question I want to ask is: What are the main components to consider replacing or upgrading on this model of bike, or a bike of this age in general? I am aware of the cam chain tensioner recall, and the rear swing arm bushing upgrade that sounds fairly common, but is there anything else I should be aware of or specifically evaluate on this bike?

I'm looking forward to the feedback, and am always looking for advice and tips. Thanks in advance!

Honda_One.jpg Honda_Two.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The ONLY Main Components I would recommend for replacement would be the Regulator/Rectifier.
Well, maybe an Electronitc Ignition but NOT at 1st.

The Charging System Technology available at the time was about 75-80% efficient and with age drops into 60% efficient range.
An upgrade to the charging system and smoothing out of the voltage goes a long way.

But... do your best to simply make it a runner before making any significant modifications, and ride it for a bit.
Trouble shooting OEM Factory is much, much easier than making a bunch of changes and then trying to figure out where the issues are.

Reactions: 83XLX

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
+1 on charging upgrades, the older recifers leaked quite a bit and because the terminals are covered they also corrode and cause more loss. Upgrading to a combo regulator/rectifier unit is the the #1 thing I tell people to do on these, just makes them a ton more reliable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll definitely be sure to put the regulator/rectifier on the list of upgrades I need to make. That could have been the source of the "weak battery" and trouble getting it to start using the electric starter, when it is a regular 1-2 kick starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I've made a good bit of progress stripping the frame down to the bare bones, nothing left but a few electrical components and the stands. The only immediate problem without too much inspection of the frame is the rear hoop. It has been drilled into with self-tapping screws, and appears to have been removed and attempted to be "welded" back on. Long story short the welding job was rough and one of the welds holding the hoop on has completely let go, so I'm looking into replacing the rear hoop with the DIY Small CC Rear Hoop from Dime City Cycles using the recommended frame slugs. I'm not sure if I like the upswept or straight hoop look better. Anyone have any experience using the DCC hoops?

IMG_6422 (1).jpg IMG_6439.jpg IMG_6442.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've got some questions for the experienced people out there:

1. I'm having trouble removing the centerstand and spring from the frame, is there a trick to doing it?

2. You can see from my original pictures that the tank and side covers have been spray painted a dark green over the factory light green and black paint job. I would like to try to remove the layer of spray paint from all of these surfaces, does anyone have any experience attempting that? My initial thoughts were either wet sanding by hand with fine grit sand paper, or looking into sanding attachments on a Dremel or something similar.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Anybody have a good link for the regulator/rectifier upgrade?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A quick update: After messing around trying to get the centerstand off, I found that the hollow pin which the center stand is supposed to rotate around and have rusted or fused together some how. I've tried some liquid wrench and a brass punch and mallet and the center pin still won't budge. My next idea is to soak the centerstand and pin in some Evapo-rust and see if that provides any motivation for the two pieces to break apart. If that doesn't work, I'll be looking for any suggestions.

I'm also in the process of degreasing, cleaning, and taking inventory of all of the parts and hardware on the bike. There is probably already a thread on this, but is there a proven method for restoring the screws and nuts? By restoring I mainly mean removing rust and preventing it from coming back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts