Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
These shocks can be disassembled and reassembled. If you want them to look new, rechroming will be required. The problem is they are about 35 years old and well past the sell by date. Modern shocks perform much better than the original shocks ever did. Consider an upgrade. If it was my bike, I would get it running the way you want it and then go spring for a new set. I really like the Hagons on my '72 450. They have the period look and ride very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I replaced mine with Hagons. They have the old school look and are tailored to fit your bike, weight, and riding style!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I let mine soak in a tub of Metal Rescue for about a week and they turned out pretty good. They weren't quite as rusty as yours, though. Take them apart and see if the springs are as badly rusted under the chrome covers. If not, you can flip the springs upside-down after you clean them up to hide the more rusted part under the cover.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I let mine soak in a tub of Metal Rescue for about a week and they turned out pretty good. They weren't quite as rusty as yours, though. Take them apart and see if the springs are as badly rusted under the chrome covers. If not, you can flip the springs upside-down after you clean them up to hide the more rusted part under the cover.

First make sure the springs are not progressively wound - those springs have a top and a bottom, can't just flip 'em upside down........

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Progressive springs don't care which way they're installed.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Me too Jim, and I have them on my Bomber
These shocks can be disassembled and reassembled. If you want them to look new, rechroming will be required. The problem is they are about 35 years old and well past the sell by date. Modern shocks perform much better than the original shocks ever did. Consider an upgrade. If it was my bike, I would get it running the way you want it and then go spring for a new set. I really like the Hagons on my '72 450. They have the period look and ride very nice.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
FWIW, from the Progressive suspension site:

"Mechanically, it makes no difference which way the springs are installed. Some manuals will state; install the spring with the close wound end towards the bottom. This is done because sometimes there will be less spring noise. The springs will perform exactly the same regardless of which direction they are placed."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts