Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told the wife I had a rusty nut, she said go to a doctor!
I was checking over the bike, I noticed a rusty nut on the tire? I found that odd, as it is only one, should I change it or clean it up?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Sorry but tires don't have nuts, rusty or otherwise. A picture might help us to visualize the problem.

As a general rule some surface rust is no more than a cosmetic problem. Serious corrosion that threatens the integrity of whatever the nut is holding together is a different issue.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
JT - there are nuts on my tire tube to hold the valve stem in place

Reactions: ctrider

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Skelee - I would just hit those with some copper wheels and clean off the rust and then coat in penetrant oil. I would be concerned that if you tried to actually use a rust inhibitor that you would take paint off the rim and cause more of a blight that you have. If you can remove them completely then I would remove, clean them up with ospho or replace the nuts completely (BoltDepot.com). If you do remove the nuts make sure to re-torque them when putting back on. I've heard those comstars are finicky.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I would NOT remove those nuts, look closely at the nut and you'll see that it is not a normal 6 sided one. Clean the nut up some and throw a dab of paint for looks if you want. The rust is of zero concern really

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to Jim - he would know.

Jim - what's special about those nuts (I like to learn)? They look a little shallow as in smaller depth of the nut.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Wow I didn't see that at ALL...

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I finally got his picture to load, his bolts are standard 6 point, not sure about the nuts. He's also got the 1st Comstar version where mine are the reversed.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Here's a pic of one on mine. If you look close, you can see the pin between the nut and the bolt threads.

Wheel Metal Auto part Rim Tire

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how about a touch of plastic dip?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts