Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told the wife I had a rusty nut, she said go to a doctor!
I was checking over the bike, I noticed a rusty nut on the tire? I found that odd, as it is only one, should I change it or clean it up?
Thanks

· Premium Member
10,166 Posts
Sorry but tires don't have nuts, rusty or otherwise. A picture might help us to visualize the problem.

As a general rule some surface rust is no more than a cosmetic problem. Serious corrosion that threatens the integrity of whatever the nut is holding together is a different issue.

· Registered
1,695 Posts
JT - there are nuts on my tire tube to hold the valve stem in place

Reactions: ctrider

· Registered
13,023 Posts
I noticed a rusty nut on the tire?
But J-T simply took his words at face value, as I did

Sorry but tires don't have nuts, rusty or otherwise.
even though we could assume he meant what you did, Curtis, it is the TUBE... not the TIRE. and of course, pictures would definitely help

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Skelee - I would just hit those with some copper wheels and clean off the rust and then coat in penetrant oil. I would be concerned that if you tried to actually use a rust inhibitor that you would take paint off the rim and cause more of a blight that you have. If you can remove them completely then I would remove, clean them up with ospho or replace the nuts completely (BoltDepot.com). If you do remove the nuts make sure to re-torque them when putting back on. I've heard those comstars are finicky.

· Premium Member
23,965 Posts
I would NOT remove those nuts, look closely at the nut and you'll see that it is not a normal 6 sided one. Clean the nut up some and throw a dab of paint for looks if you want. The rust is of zero concern really

· Registered
1,695 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to Jim - he would know.

Jim - what's special about those nuts (I like to learn)? They look a little shallow as in smaller depth of the nut.

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Wow I didn't see that at ALL...

· Premium Member
23,965 Posts
I finally got his picture to load, his bolts are standard 6 point, not sure about the nuts. He's also got the 1st Comstar version where mine are the reversed.

· Registered
9,708 Posts
Here's a pic of one on mine. If you look close, you can see the pin between the nut and the bolt threads.

Wheel Metal Auto part Rim Tire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.