Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My CB200's fuel tank is in a very bad shape... It is terribly rusted inside and it has a very weird patch in the bottom. I already bought a better one, but I'm wondering if is there a way to save this tank. I can use a different color/paint style to change the look of the bike every now and then. ;)

Any thoughts?

2015_05_02_j.jpg 2015_05_02_i.jpg 2015_05_02_h.jpg 2015_05_02_g.jpg 2015_05_02_f.jpg

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I like to use the electrolysis method, no nasty chemicals to dispose of later and it gets all the rust out. Then you can strip the paint of the bottom of the tank to see how many pinholes you need to solder shut.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Fill the tank with MSR (Milk Stone Remover), available at Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply, places like that.
It's about 70% phosphoric acid, a mild-ish acid.
Mix it 50/50 with water, fill the tank, wait and observe. Depending on the severity of the rust, it could be several hours or several days.
Wash copiously with water, then dry completely.
At that point you can either coat or not (I prefer Red-Kote).
It's raw steel now, and will begin to flash rust almost immediately, so either coat it or fill it with gas and keep it filled.
The MSR can be reused. I love MSR, and hate rust - I keep a big cooler full and process nearly everything steel in it (seems like everything steel on these old bikes is rusty).
The MSR will get ALL the rust, even in blind corners - electrolytic rust removal is strictly line of sight between the electrodes, won't get into blind areas or complex curves.

Your good luck is that the CB200 tank is about the most sturdy tank Honda ever made, plenty of steel there........it weighs as much as a 450 tank, which is much larger.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice link. You can take it to a radiator shop. It is the same process as cleaning a radiator. A lot less hassle and you don't have to mess with the chemicals.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hello,
Check out my project log on this. It'll tell you all youll need to know. It's not a difficult task. A few bottles of "the works" toilet bowl cleaner, then pick up the Kreem kit which will clean line, and seal the tank. Good luck. Any questions, feel free

·
Registered
67 Posts
As long as its not leaking..

I have cleaned several tanks using several methods, most work well.. But the most efficient method I have found so far is using a gallon of Evaporust and pouring it in and rotating the tank every couple hours. On all but the worst by morning every tank has been spotless.. Then rinse and fill it immediately to keep it from flash rusting. Like I said I have used many methods but this one was the most efficient and quick with minimal effort.

Its a little pricier but I have cleaned several tanks and countless parts with the same gallon.

Reactions: Tuxo

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi guys

My CB200's fuel tank is in a very bad shape... It is terribly rusted inside and it has a very weird patch in the bottom. I already bought a better one, but I'm wondering if is there a way to save this tank. I can use a different color/paint style to change the look of the bike every now and then. ;)

Any thoughts?

View attachment 57252 View attachment 57253 View attachment 57254 View attachment 57255 View attachment 57256
By the look of it in the photo's it doesn't seem too bad. Should be a fairly easy fix. I'd say, save yourself time and trouble, pay the $40 and get the Kreem kit. Everything you need is there, and it's super easy. Done, moving on to other area's.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Nice link for the interior rust removal, making a topic and sticky since it covers all the regular things.
The exterior rust is probably best handled by media blasting, glass beads, walnut shells, soda, etc. It'll strip all the paint and rust off the tank but be sure to seal up the petcock fitting and leave the gas cap on.
A radiator repair shop should be able to pressure test the tank for any leaks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the look of it in the photo's it doesn't seem too bad. Should be a fairly easy fix. I'd say, save yourself time and trouble, pay the $40 and get the Kreem kit. Everything you need is there, and it's super easy. Done, moving on to other area's.
Scottyrebels, It would be my pick if I could find Kreem Kit here in Brazil... Unfortunately they don't sell here.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'm sure there is some form of gas tank lining available in SA. Just have to research it. Check motorcycle, radiator, diesel truck repair shops. I think Red Kote is better than Kreem but that maybe because the Kreem installations I've come across were poorly done rather than a questionable product.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My de-rust option

I went trough the most accessible method (for me, in Brazil): Ice, vinegar and salt.

I used the ice to scrape or knock off big chunks of rust. I choose ice instead of bolts and nuts because the ice melts (!) and I didn't want to chase after every nut inside the tank at the end. Ice instead of chain because I didn't have a chain available at the moment.

2015_05_03_b.jpg
Time to make a huge HONDA Cocktail Shaker!

2015_05_03_c.jpg
2015_05_03_d.jpg
2015_05_03_e.jpg
After some shaking, the tank freezes... and start to sweat outside. Just like a shaker.

2015_05_03_f.jpg
Anyone up for a Dry Martini? :grin:

2015_05_03_g.jpg
The ice cubes I couldn't take out melted and drained out smoothly.

2015_05_03_h.jpg
Rinse the tank with warm soap water, and then, with lots of cold water.

2015_05_03_i.jpg
Time for the VINEGAR! Bought 6 bottles ($0.50 each) and mixed up with 2 cups of regular salt. Fingers crossed!

The tutorial I'm following says it will take a few days to clean it up. I'll update this thread in daily basis from now. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went to a radiator shop.
I had my tank done completely.
They blasted and coated the inside and blasted, primed the outside for $175

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
If the paint isn't worth saving, the radiator shop method is an easy one. If the paint is still nice, a product called Metal Rescue works well as a home remedy. It is reusable until it gets really dirty, is non-toxic, and doesn't harm paint or decals. It's not cheap, though ($25 per gallon).

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Tuxo is located in Brazil and as such has access to few if any of the common products found here in the US.
This is a great thread going for everyone around the world that doesn't have access to our chemicals

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tuxo is located in Brazil and as such has access to few if any of the common products found here in the US.
This is a great thread going for everyone around the world that doesn't have access to our chemicals
Hi Jim,

Here in Brazil we don't have the DIY culture, specially in technical jobs. Everybody pays someone else to make things done, from house cleaning to de-rusting... So, the chemicals are available only in large, for professional use, most of them only sold to pros. There's no small kits with instructions intended to amateurs, like you have in US. I found some tank lining, but the smaller container can be used in 10+ tanks... and there's no instructions on how a Regular-Joe could use the products... I hate this culture trace, but it is how things works around here. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I've seen very good results with vinegar, and it's readily available, so you're on the right track for a DIY tank cleanout.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts