Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled my spare cylinder head out to get it ready to replace my current head, which has a few smashed valve stem, and I've got some rust on the hardened bearing surface.

IMG_20180522_194208.jpg

IMG_20180522_194154.jpg

IMG_20180522_194139.jpg

IMG_20180522_194126.jpg

All I've done so far is try wiping it away with a clean rag. Is there a good way to clean this up? There is some surface rust inside where the rocker shaft lives too. Salvageable? I have more cam holders (in my parts engines) I could use if I need to.

Are the top end parts mated? What I mean is do they wear together or can I just mix and match whatever is usable?

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I pulled my spare cylinder head out to get it ready to replace my current head, which has a few smashed valve stem, and I've got some rust on the hardened bearing surface.

View attachment 252994

View attachment 253002

View attachment 253010

View attachment 253018

All I've done so far is try wiping it away with a clean rag. Is there a good way to clean this up? There is some surface rust inside where the rocker shaft lives too. Salvageable? I have more cam holders (in my parts engines) I could use if I need to.

Are the top end parts mated? What I mean is do they wear together or can I just mix and match whatever is usable?
May I make a suggestion, I would try a scotch pad with wd40 to remove the rust.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I clean up a lot of rust with 000 steel wool and mineral spirits.
Works good on chrome, wheels and most anything needing cleaned.

Gonna take a lot of steel wool to clean up my avatar bike. But it runs really well dirty and rusty.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little elbow grease with a green scrubber and acetone got them cleaned right up. Plastigauge and permatex are on the way, still need to order some moly lube for reassembly.

Reactions: snyper316
1 - 4 of 4 Posts