Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! If any of you here have read my recent threads, I was struggling to get a 1983 honda cb450sc running. Well, long story short it runs, but now I'm taking some time and going through some other systems/cleaning the dust and dirt. I started up at the front brake and noticed that the caliper was seized a little. I got it torn apart easily and noticed after I put the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner that the exposed/seized end (about 1/8 of an inch) of the pistons have quite a bit of rust, not dirt :( Is this removable without compromising the tolerance of the piston against the seals of the caliper? I feel like finding new pistons may be a pain since honda does not make them anymore. Also, where is a reliable place to get the dust/piston and master cylinder seals?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that's what I figured. I'll probably try to dissolve the rust and see how deep it is. Does anyone know the tolerance between the piston and piston wall, or where to find aftermarket ones besides those chinese manufacturers on ebay?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sirius Consolidated is a good place to start. They also have an eBay store. I'm using one of their pistons, and it works fantastic.

I believe the manual has tolerances of the bore and the piston. But regardless, if the pitting is substantial, replace.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see pistons and seals for an 86 model, but not an 83 model. Would they be that far off to where they wouldn't work?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
They have to be exact, close doesn't work. There are a number of sources for the parts, Bike Bandit is one. Pull the part numbers needed from the online Honda fiches and plug them into a Google search

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
There is a seller on ebay that sells stainless steel pistons. At least there was a couple of years ago. I bought one off him for a 72 cb450.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts