Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My K3 came out of a field where it had been sitting for over 30 years.

Sigh... (see the last couple of pages for frame resto efforts)

I've done a lot of stripping/sanding work on the frame up to this point with powdercoating in mind. I'm concerned about the paint/surface rust inside the top and seat tubes. I've scoped it and I don't see anything remotely close to structural damage, but I don't think that I want to leave it unaddressed. I'm not sure what to do about it at this point. Or even if something needs to be done. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Inspect the frame to make sure water didn't get inside, freeze and crack your frame.
put the frame in a thick garbage bag or large tub and fill with enough evaporust, white vinegar, etc. Whatever is your choice. After painting, fill inside with corrosion X, LPS, etc. Whatever is your choice.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Please be careful with vinegar and other acids, you'd need to rinse thoroughly with water, then neutralize any residue with baking soda and water before drying and treating with a final rust preventative coating.
(Or just like the inside of a fuel tank, rust will return)

This may not be feasible for a frame's internals.
Maybe one of the products that convert rust into a protective coating? (oxymoron much?)

But the real question has to do with the carbon content of the steel that Honda used on these frames. Higher carbon steels will oxidize with just a very thin layer, which is in effect a protective coating.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've thought about the big tub, or something similar. But that's a LOT of vinegar. I might be able to plug or seal them at one end and then just fill up the tube. I think that if I can just get the rust out, then I would be content with a good rattle can primer and sealer.

As old as these bikes are, I'm surprised that I haven't seen this issue addressed here before. I searched for a solid hour before posting this thread and couldn't find anything addressing the internals of the frame. It's possible that I didn't use the right terms.

·
Registered
256 Posts
FWIW, when i disconnected the rear sub frame on the nighthawk, i could see that someone had been in there with a brush and some kind of grey primer...

P1010997.JPG

P1010996.JPG

P1010994.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts