Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question that i haven't gotten around to asking here yet: since i got this bike running (76 cb200t), i've noticed that after going 60-70 miles on a full tank of gas, the bike shows all the signs of running out of gas (sputters and loses power, regains smoothness and power for a few more miles once the fuel valve is switched to "reserve," then sputters and eventually stalls). but each time, i've only used about a gallon and a half, and there's almost another whole gallon sitting in the tank. it had the original fuel valve when i bought it and i initially had only cleaned it up and made sure all the passage ways were clean and clear. then i tried changing it out--put in a NOS honda fuel valve. same issue. any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check the air vent in the gas cap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will do--thanks. i've blown that clear with some compressed air in the past, and it made no difference. doesn't hurt to try again, but it if it was clogged, wouldn't i have the "running out of gas" symptoms all the time?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Using compressed air may not be enough. I've had to "pick" out hard stuff from the air vents in the gas cap. Use a stiff piece of wire and make sure those passageways are clear. Then use compressed air to finish the job. To answer your question, you may have to go down the road a ways in order to create a vacuum situation in you tank that will stop the flow of gas to the carbs. Good luck.

Keith

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds good--i'll dig into those vents a bit and see what's doing...

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 200 but is there a "balance" tube tying the two sides of the tank together? Sometimes people like to remove that tube to make removing the tank easier. Without the tube, the fuel might not be getting over to the petcock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's an interesting question--i'm not entirely sure if such a tube should be there or not. my guess is 'no' based on parts diagrams i've seen and the manuals i have. but it would make sense to include some kind of 'balance tube.' given the shape of the underside of the tank (because of how it sits over the frame), it would seem entirely possible that the gas from the non-petcock side of the tank might have some difficulty reaching the petcock side of the tank as the fuel level dropped. the tank sits on the frame almost like an upside down U (i attached a picture) and the petcock fits under one side...

maybe i'll try taking the tank off, opening the petcock (with a bucket under it) and watching when the fuel flow slows to a drip and eventually stops.

in the meantime, is a 'balance tube' something that i can right somehow? it sounds like it can't hurt...

thanks.
tony

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I had a bike one time that ran out of gas too early and still had fuel in the non petcock side. The balance tube was in place but completely plugged with crap. If you do have a tube pull it off and check that fuel flows from both sides. I am betting on your vent being plugged as your problem.
Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, don (and others). i definitely don't have a balance tube--nothing that i can see in the tank, attached to the petcock or anywhere else that it would make sense to look.

i'm hoping to get out there later this afternoon and work on that gas cap vent first. hopefully that'll do it. if not, but the idea of a balance tube is new to me and probably a potential solution to investigate further if need be...

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
cb200t said:
thanks, don (and others). i definitely don't have a balance tube--nothing that i can see in the tank, attached to the petcock or anywhere else that it would make sense to look.

i'm hoping to get out there later this afternoon and work on that gas cap vent first. hopefully that'll do it. if not, but the idea of a balance tube is new to me and probably a potential solution to investigate further if need be...
If it came with a balance tube you would see a hose nipple on each side of the tank on the bottom at the rear. If those are not there then it probably didn't come with it. As I said, I'm not familiar with the 200 but the 350's and 450's had them. I wouldn't think that adding one would be a good option to correct your problem. It sounds like it's something else like a plugged vent hole. You can eliminate that problem by going for a ride and leaving the cap loose but that might get messy. Or, go for a ride and when you start having the same problem open the gas cap and see if that clears up the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, mike. the bike definitely didn't come with a balance tube. i cleaned out the vent hole (there's only one) on the gas cap yesterday--snaked a piece of wire in there and tried to clear out anything that might have been plugging it. then blew some compressed air through. i just filled it up today and took only about a 15 mile ride (mostly because i'm also getting significant hesitation during acceleration and varying engine speeds at steady throttle. ugh. i posted about that too! (under the heading "adjusting the fuel/air mixture."
any way, i'll have to get another 50 miles or so on the bike before i can tell whether the "running out of gas" issue has been resolved by my cleaning the gas cap vent...

thanks again.
tony

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Tony,

I know this thread is 2 years old, but i have a 75 CB200T and I had those Exact same symptoms yesterday. Riding for about 30 minutes or so, then it seemed to be running out of gas. Riding along and it just stopped running. RPMs dropped to zero. Coasted to the side of the road. Switched to reserve and started up again. Got about a half mile and the throttle wouldn't respond, bike was chugging, then died again. Luckily I was close to home so I called my son to bring me some gas. While I waited I opened the tank and had plenty of gas (at least another inch or so). I even leaned the bike over to the left to get some of the gas on the right side of the tank over to the left.

By the time my son got there, i tried to start it, and it came right back to life. Maybe opening the tank to check it gave it enough air flow? Rode it home without adding any new gas. While its low on gas, I'll probably pull the tank and check the petcocks and gas cap air hole.

Did you ever figure out what was causing your situtation?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey scott,
i never really diagnosed positively the specific issue i was having with this "running out of gas" business. there were a few other things happening with the bike at the time, so i wound up replacing the petcock, cleaning and adjusting the carbs, and cleaning out the tank and gas cap. among those things, there were two problems that i'm sure (in hindsight) existed: 1) my fuel mixture was too rich; 2) i had the idle set too low (my tachometer was a little off, so when i was trying to set the idle at 1200rpms, it was really at about 800 or so. a mechanic i trust and who has a good "ear" for these engines recognized that the idle was too low when he heard it running. once we got it where it needed to be, the bike ran much better/stronger.) since i took care of those few things, i've had no issues.

i'm not sure if any of that might apply to your situation. reading your post, i wondered if you're actually having an over-heating issue. riding for 30 minutes would get the bike hot; and waiting for your son to arrive might have given it enough time to cool a bit and start back up. have you checked your fuel/air mixture? what's your history with this bike? do you typically ride for 30 minutes or more without problems? have you had any other issues or any work done lately? has it just come out of storage?

Tony

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scott--

one more thing: i was just looking through your project log on this CB200. awesome restoration, and good thread of posts. that was enjoyable to look through--so thanks for posting.
also, i noticed you got a special plate for the bike. does it qualify for a "classic" or "historic" plate or something?
on a side note, i'm from CT (though living in indiana now). it was cool to see the special CT plate in particular!

let's figure out that gas issue...
cheers,
tony

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Tony,

As far as the CT plates go, yes, the bike can be considered "early American" since it's more than 25 years old. I didn't have to register it that way, but it saves a lot on fees and taxes.

Back to the gas issue.

I recently tuned up the bike, with the primary improvement being freeing the stuck spark advancers. I wasn't able to get the speed out of the bike I expected, and it bogged down if I gave it too much throttle. I also set the timing, set the valve clearances, synced the carbs, and set the air/fuel mix (though I may go back and see if I did them correctly). As a result, I've gotten a huge jump in performance, which in turn leads me to run the bike a little faster and harder. I'm running it up to 6000 RPMs before shifting most of the time. Just can't resist, having found so much more power in the bike.

So all that being said, yes, overheating occurred to me also. Would it be the coils or just the bike in general? Anything I can do besides easing back on the throttle a bit (last resort-lol)?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Keep us upto date cause I am having the same problem!!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
This is what mydlife posted in my thread about it.
I have not pulled the tank to check.

there is a cross over pipe/tube at the back of the tank. 2 steel nipples connected by a hose. Oddly, my 360 doesn't have one. If you have a lot of rust in the tank, it may have collected and clogged the crossover.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm...a sticking spark advancer will typically cause high idle speed conditions, since the advancer will typically get "stuck" in the open position. but anyway--you've got the spark advancer working properly, so that you can twist it freely and then, when you release it, it snaps back properly? those springs should have good tension on them so there isn't a lot of "slop" in the spark advancer unit...

did you use a timing light to set the points, or did you do it by eye? same with setting the fuel/air mix--did you just set the fuel/air screws to factory specs? and how about your sync process? are you using a carbtune or some similar tool? a lot of the more experienced guys on here have several good methods for syncing carbs and many can do it by "ear." i used the morgan carbtune because i'm a sucker for precision and because i don't have the experience to get buy without a "tool" specifically for syncing carbs (http://www.carbtune.com/). the same company makes a special tool for checking the fuel/air mixture (http://www.carbtune.com/).

6000 RPMs is a good spot on these bikes. when i'm in 3rd or 4th gear, i usually cruise between 6000-7500 RPMs. my CB200 loves that range and that's usually where i get the most out of it. if you were red-lining it, then i'd worry that you were pushing it too hard and causing it to overheat (or worse). but if you're operating in that "sweet" range with the RPMs, i'd say overheating (if it's happening) might be happening as a result of a lean mixture in the carbs. at what RPMs does the bike idle when it's warmed up? i assume that once it's warmed up you're closing the choke completely?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm nearly certain that the CB200 did NOT come with a balancer tube in the gas tanks. that said, it is worth being sure that the gas cap air vents are clear and that the petcock is clear. there is a small screen filter in the petcock that does little but is prone to getting clogged up if there's crap in the tank. you can remove the petcock, clean out the filter, blow compressed air through the passage ways...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts