Honda Twins banner

Running out of Fuel after spririted riding?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nebraska 
#1 ·
My bike seems to run out of fuel after any serious efforts... ( I think it's draining the float bowls faster then they are being filled... )
Anyone have any thoughts on this... ( it's a 500T)

#2 ·
Have you checked the flow from the petcock? Could be partially blocked. If that's fine, then there could be some blockage in the fuel line and/or carb. Another thing to check is the gas cap vent. Next time when it happens open the gas cap to see if it makes a difference. If you hear a suction type sound when you open it, it could be clogged which would create a vacuum in the tank preventing form fuel flowing normally.

#6 ·
Does the choke position have any effect on the way it runs / idle speed when its running?
(I am in the same boat, no effect on my bike when choke is on)
Runs great for 15 minutes then pops & hiccup's under load but idles fine.
I think I will adj the floats on mine. 66Sprint helped me out via email. Hope it works! :D

And let us know what you find!

#7 ·
In Bill Silver's books on Honda 250/305's, he shows a Honda Service Bulletin that recommends drilling a second vent hole on the underside of the gas cap, 1/16 th inch dia. on the opposite side from the original vent hole on the underside of the rim just outside the gasket. (be careful to drill through the top of the gas cap). Even new replacement caps may only have 1 vent hold!! These gas caps can be dis-assembled to be cleaned and drilled by tapping on the outside edge of the upper part (exposed side) of the gas cap. Pay attention to how it comes apart; the cap is assembled by pressing the parts back together after cleaning and adding the second vent hole.
This may or may not correct fuel delivery problems to the carbs but it was what Honda recommended in the mid 60's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.