Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! I’m new to this forum and new to motorcycles. This is my first rebuild (and I’ve had a fair bit of help, too). I’m hoping I’m not in over my head.

So for some background, I bought a ‘74 CL360 out of some guys garage over the winter. It was last titled in ‘78, and hadn’t been started since probably the early 80s.

Mechanically speaking, we pulled the carbs, had them vapor honed, and rebuilt them. I suspect something is not quite right, float height perhaps? It started and ran really crappily with the old points; they’ve been replaced with a set from common motor and the timing set following common motors video. Spark is good. No bad noises coming from the engine, fully suspect carb issues.

The bike is currently running with issues. It’s lacking power, and feels like it’s not getting enough gas. The left exhaust is bluing a bit. Hesitating a bit, wanting to stall. Yesterday it ran like this for awhile, then stopped altogether. Wouldn’t restart. Let it sit for a few hours and it ran again in the same way. (Running in a large parking lot, not out on the roads)

Right now it’s running without air boxes (I want the get the angled pod filters from common motor but they’re out of stock, totally open to ideas/suggestions here. Don’t want to remove the battery at this time, which seems to limit my options.). It also doesn’t have mufflers on it right now. I’m wondering how much these factors could be impacting the running issues.

Basically looking for some leads to follow/insight from people who have worked on these bikes. Right now the plan is to pull off the carbs and look into the float height (I’ve seen 18.5 and 17.2 mm for the float setting, should I aim for somewhere in the middle?). If I end up having to take the bike somewhere to be tuned I totally will, but we’ve gotten it so close, I hate to give up now! Appreciate any and all advice and words of wisdom to help my newbie self out ?

Edited to add a pic from a couple weeks ago. Won’t help diagnostically, but I’m excited sooooo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
First off you need a proper service manual. PM sent.

Vapor honed? Perhaps you meant vapor blasted. That will make your carbs pretty but the innards need to be clean to make it run. Soaking in any of a variety of solvents or an ultrasonic cleaner can help with that. A bike that's been sitting for nearly 40 years is likely to require significant patience. Take them off and start over. If possible get factory replacement parts. You only need to replace the seals/gaskets and possibly the float needles. The hard parts (jets etc) that come with aftermarket kits are often not appropriate for your bike and are practically never needed. If you do decide to have them professionally done, send them to Crazy PJ.

If possible get the airboxes installed along with mufflers. It will be a lot easier to get it running in it's stock configuration then modify it later if you still want to. Pods and short pipes do not enhance performance and do require modifications to make them work at all.

Welcome to the group.

Got pictures?:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Thank you! I got the link, I appreciate it! Going to pull the carbs and go through the again referencing the manual.

I should have been more specific, the carbs were also ultrasonically cleaned. I’m pretty sure there’s some issue with the reassembly, but they def came back fully cleaned. Please forgive my poor discription! I thought I had a pic with all the carb pieces out on a table, but I can’t seem to find it right now.

I’m also going to order a set of the stock air boxes tonight, to hopefully be able to pop on this weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Get it going all stock and running well, then you can try pods and such.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Hey! Nice looikin bike!:D

Glad to hear you're getting the air box, mufflers would help too but I think you're right, your issues sound like more than just those 2.

Some of the folks more familiar with your model will be along, you'll be on the road soon.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Air screws on the side of the carbs at 1 1/2 turns to start. More and it'll run like sheet.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Check the 'freeze plugs' on throttle shafts. If one is missing it will run very lean that side. 360's don't like short pipes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys!! ?

Will check air screws and freeze plugs when I dig in there (tonight or tomorrow, sometimes I wish I didn’t have to work!)

I really want the stock high pipes, I think they’re super cool. My problem is getting my hands on a set and still paying my rent. Right now I’m seeing one available on eBay for $400 shipped, and I honestly can’t swing $800 at the moment. I know, I need cheaper hobbies. My original plan was to get it running and either put in lollipops or some less expensive mufflers (like common motor sells a set for this bike) or just run without for the first month of 2, then add the full high pipes. But it sounds like this isn’t viable. I don’t have much knowledge of motorcycle exhausts (clearly) so I am wondering if I am missing an option to run it in a stock type set up for time time being for a bit less than the $800 price tag? Or any other suggestions for getting my hands on a set? Another thought was buying a custom pipe kit and building a set, I have been told triumph pipes will work.

There’s some stuff for this bike that’s being delayed a bit (like artwork on the tank) so that I can hopefully ride around on it a bit. Until I have a few more miles under my belt the other bikes available to be are not good choices for me to ride around on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Get some sort of muffler if you plan to ride in your first month or two, your ears will thank you haha.
In regards to finding stock scrambler high pipes.. It can be done, but people generally will not let them go for cheap. $800 for exhaust is entirely to steep in my opinion, there is a "wanted" section here and on another forum called Do The Ton. Lots of people will sell 360 exhausts (probably not scrambler pipes) for a reasonable price to get you by.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
You could probably get a set welded up for way less than $800, (if you know anyone who can weld?) Using mild steel would be cheapest, can be gas, flux wire or MIG welded but you would have to paint them. Stainless steel is nice but would cost a lot more for materials plus you would have to find someone to TIG weld it.
https://www.coneeng.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welding some up is definitely an option, that’s why I started looking into one of the custom pipe kits in a comparable size. Something like this? https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/brit...it-for-your-chopper-bobber-or-cafe-build.html We have a welder, I can muddle my way through sticking things together; my boyfriend is quite a bit better, has done exhaust work on cars/trucks and says welding up some pipes for this is totally within what he’s comfortable helping me with. Just have to run a 220 line, just moved into a new place.

It’s sounding like I should run a set of mufflers and weld up a set of high pipes. The heat shields are inexpensive, and I could end up with something that has a similar look to the original....I’ll look through that link, too!

Glad I’m not the only who balks at that price. I know there’s a limited supply of them around, but I’ve also got a limit to what I can spend!

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
The Lowbrow kit isn't too bad a price but you would be better with smaller diameter as 1.5" is really too big. I don't remember if I started with 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" for my 378 motor but built a 'stepped' pipe and went to 1-3/4" after the collector. (looks like 1-1/4" as 1-1/8" isn't listed)
I used these people, great selection of sizes
Mild steel exhaust U-Bends
the next size up slides over the smaller size so makes life real easy plus may give a performance boost (similare to two stroke expansion chamber)
It's easy enough to make your own 'kit',the only problem is finding a thick washer to make flange, I think I found some 1/8 "thick 'industrial' washers a bit big and filed them down with a die grinder. I've also 'dumpster dived' at muffler shops to get 'custom' bends. Threw together a high pipe system for my CJ250 (bored to 390) from various parts when I wanted a specific shape
Be careful with 360, my sister started on S90 then CJ, ended up with Kawasaki 600 - " I don't go fast, 29mph everywhere'' (even though she admitted taking her friend's son to ~135+, 10yr old thought it was grea) I don't think his mother found out until years later. My other sister only started riding a few years ago, never interested in motorcycles until she got a boyfriend with bike (used to be a horse person)
I knew I posted pics just didn't realise it was 5 yrs ago. https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/53-miscellaneous-discussion/27496-two-into-one-exhaust-pics-2.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, that makes sense, thank you! And cool pics.

Your post reminded me, there’s a big pile of old bike exhaust pipes at a junk yard near me. I have to go there for something anyway, I’ll dig through that and see what I can use!

Funny you should mention your sister....I rode horses competitively for years! Also played around on dirt bikes a bit and mountain bikes, seems like motorcycles are the natural progression!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts