Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new to all this but I guess I will give a little background. I am a 20 year old college kid and have gotten myself into fixing up my dad's 72 CB350 K4 and getting it running again. It sat in our shed for over 20 years without being taken out, but it was running fine when he put it up. That being said, I have done a few things on it already to get closer to it running again, but I have ran into a problem. Electrical wise(which is where our only problem is), I replaced the battery and confirmed that the starter is still good. We tried firing it up the other day and couldn't get it to start. Lights were on momentarily until I touched two screwdrivers together that were touching the solenoid. Apparently that shorted it out and everything went dead after that. I know a whole lot more about mechanical things than the electrical side on the bike, so I am wondering where the problem may lie. Should I simply replace the fuse, since it seems the screwdriver thing may have blown the fuse, or should I address a problem with the solenoid? Or could there be a problem elsewhere. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I have learned a ton already about the bike throughout the past couple weeks and would love to know more about the electrical setup. Thanks in advance.

Joel

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Start by getting a test light. Then replace the fuse. If you get no power then, check the cleanliness and tightness of your battery terminals. if the screwdriver touched the two terminals of the solenoid, you did not cause a short, but merely connected two wires that the solenoid WOULD connect when it's engaged.
If you touched one terminal and the frame , then you created a short that wouldn't actually blow the fuse. It would ether weld the screwdriver to the copper terminal of the solenoid, or exaggerate the loose connection at the battery. Actually sounds like you got lucky here, you just have to get it out of your head that you made a mess and trace things logically.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright I'll do that. thanks for the help. I may post again if another problem arises after that or if I can't diagnose the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts