Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I can’t figure out how to install the “C” bracket and spring for the center stand on my 1981 CB400. How does the C bracket stay on the pivot shaft with only one (and a strong one at that) spring and why are there two holes on either end of the C bracket? Any help will be appreciated.
RW

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,046 Posts
One spring hook goes to hook on stand, the other in the smaller C bracket hole....Larger C bracket hole goes on post/pin (in/on frame), and usually "sits" in a shallow groove...
Center of the C is the clearance for the pivot tube.....So the stand is actually touching the ground forward of the pivot...
Hook the C on the frame post FIRST.....

·
Premium Member
27,046 Posts
Been so long since I played with a 400 that I can't remember....It might even be a steel pin in the cast aluminum rear peg/muffler bracket holder.....

Longdistancerider or JT will know......

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
Above the center stand pivot bolt area you will find a bent steel pin, C bracket connects there. I've found it easier to connect the bracket, spring and stand together and then work the pivot into place. The open part of the C faces down

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK YOU both. The previous owner had two spring, one on each end of the C bracket and had it hung over the pivot of the stand. Since that won't work it was wired to the swing arm; so I removed it during the rebuild. I am putting it back on because it is really handy to adjust the chain, etc.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With both your help I got the center stand on my CB400. The installation was easy but since it has oversized tires I had to take a cutting torch and disc grinder and remove some metal plus bend the spring hook out for clearance by the tire. My only concern is that if you push the bike forward too hard it will come off the stand. So my solution is to make a chock-block to prevent that from happening or rig up some sort of cable to stop the stand from retracting. Thanks again. I have a line on a 1974 CB750K4. The gentleman said it needed body parts and looks rugged but runs well. My wife is gonna kill me!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just some advice for people finding this thread for reassembly advice like I did.

I just reinstalled my centre stand yesterday and this little spring-puller tool that I had bought for exhaust springs made it soooo much easier to get the spring onto the stand, it was only $5 too. There's heaps of them around at bike / part places plus eBay etc. Very handy piece of kit.

Household supply

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
We also used a similar tool for the springs on car headlight buckets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nearly 9 years after the original post, I'd like to thank everyone for helping me solve the same puzzle.

I've found it easier to connect the bracket, spring and stand together and then work the pivot into place. The open part of the C faces down
This is what got it done for me - the leverage you get whenthe pivot rod is inserted at one end makes it easy to line up the other end and with the help of a rubber mallet, it's pretty easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts