Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long break away from my garage and CB350, I'm determined to finally get it on the road. (Have I said that before?)

I just got done checking the timing (static) and it's good. I've finally go it to idle (still a bit high) but when I open the throttle, the rpms either stick or keep climbing. Oh, the plugs look great, so I think the mixture is proper.

Ideas?

Thanks guys!

Sorry, forgot the stats:

73 CB350G everything is stock and the carbs were rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned last year.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Again, That is a sign the carbs NEED synched.......Both cylinders SHOULD be trying to run at the same revs, not one dropping to idle and one still revving.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to my manual, this is down by adjusting the idle screws on the side to equal out the pressure from the pipes. Correct? What about adjusting the throttle cables as well?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, adjusting the "pull" timing of the cables is a part of the process....
Generally follow Bill's "sticky" on syncing the 450 carbs.... works pretty much the same way.... if you come to a step you don't quite "get", ask a specific question, we'll try to keep you on track....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Note that ignition timing is always done before carburettor adjustment. The timing affects how you set the carbs; the carb settings have no effect on the timing.
The first step in adjusting the carbs is to adjust the throttle cables so that both throttles start to open simultaneously with throttle stop screws turned out so they permit the butterflies to close completely. Adjust them so there's a little bit of slop at the throttle grip before the throttles start opening. Absent that, you may get an RPM rise when you turn the steering all the way to one side or the other. The mixture screws are just for fine tuning the carbs for the best idle mixture, usually done by adjusting each for peak RPM or, in other words, getting them set so you have the desired idle RPM with the smallest possible idle throttle opening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KERRY said:
Note that ignition timing is always done before carburettor adjustment. The timing affects how you set the carbs; the carb settings have no effect on the timing.
The first step in adjusting the carbs is to adjust the throttle cables so that both throttles start to open simultaneously with throttle stop screws turned out so they permit the butterflies to close completely. Adjust them so there's a little bit of slop at the throttle grip before the throttles start opening. Absent that, you may get an RPM rise when you turn the steering all the way to one side or the other. The mixture screws are just for fine tuning the carbs for the best idle mixture, usually done by adjusting each for peak RPM or, in other words, getting them set so you have the desired idle RPM with the smallest possible idle throttle opening.

**Update**

The "pull timing" is good and there is no binding/pulling on the throttle cable. Currently, the throttle stop screws have to be screwed in quite a bit to get the bike to start. The rpms are still sticking at times but nowhere near as bad as before. Am I not exact enough on the "pull timing"?

I also checked for leaks around the intakes and didn't find any.

Sorry to dredge this topic back to life, the carbs are driving me a bit nuts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts