Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my first bike about a month ago and have been working through some issues.

The most recent is that my RPMs are jumping all over the place.

Initially I was having an issue with it idling too low. If I was at a light I'd need keep on the throttle a little to avoid stalling out. In an attempt to solve this I messed with my idle screw (http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/honda-screw-set-b_medium16028370004-01_6076.jpg) to solve the issue and think I messed something up.

My RPMS are all over the place sometimes too low causing me to stall out, sometimes extremely high. I don't have a tac to I can't give an exact reading but they are getting really up there.

Any suggestions on how to get this back in order? I feel like whenever I get one thing working right I mess up something else. Id like to get some worry free riding in.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Sounds like you have two problems. First a plugged idle jet, second a vacuum leak. Try cleaning the idle jets by running a guitar string through them, and check the intake boots for leaks. You can do this by spraying carb cleaner around them with the engine running. If the engine changes RPM, you have found your leak.
TOOLS

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup, leaking carburetor boots will do that. They develop small cracks that you cannot see and sucks in air. As they flex, your motor goes nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The idle jets are only about 0.014" diameter, that would be a dangerously thin guitar string (stock 35 is actually 0.35mm hole)
Using something bigger will enlarge the jet and cause plug fouling although if you have intake air leak things could possibly work out :eek:
Carbs are probably out of sync as well, that often causes weird idle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts