Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cb200t has hanging RPMs when rolling off throttle. What are the possible causes for this?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Take your pick: Wrong idle mixture settings, clogged idle jet on one side, low compression on one side, air leak between the carb and head, one of the slides not physically dropping all the way when the throttle is closed, spark advance not returning to the idle setting.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add, it eventually settles down after a few seconds. What would cause spark advance not return to idle?

·
Super Moderator
10,182 Posts
I should add, it eventually settles down after a few seconds. What would cause spark advance not return to idle?
Weak return springs on the advancer weights, either stretched or just weakened with age. Engines that are allowed to stay in a more advanced timing state like to stay revved up.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Sometimes a few drops of oil inside the points cam works wonders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am guessing the return springs on the advancer weights are behind the plate the points are mounted to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. Im going to check for a leak, check carb sync/throttle cable response, and add a little oil to the spark advance cam. I'll report back with results. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sprayed the carb boots with carb cleaner while running. caused the engine to die on both.

Does anyone know the Honda product number for the rubber o-ring gaskets?

I couldnt find it on cmsnl.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts