Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the bottom ends of 450 rods and 400 rods will fit on the same crank? Was putting together my 400 and found out that the top ends of 450 rods have a bigger sized hole for wrist pins and if I can get away with only switching out the rods that would be fantastic. I really just want to finish this build so I can ride.
Thanks everyone for your continued help, you guys are so helpful to a newbie and I can't express how much I appreciate it.
Tim H

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Tim, I have no familiarity with the SOHC 400/450 series engine at all so I can't offer any insight, and I'm not sure comparing part numbers would reflect the correct answer because it's a plain bearing engine... but the many here who are expert-level familiar will be along soon and will undoubtedly be able to answer that question for you. Glad the forum has been help to you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a 400 engine that was run without oil and spun a bearing and ruined the crank. I bought what I thought was a 400 crank and rods but it was a 450. I'm just trying to put my 400 engine back together with a new crank and new bearings, but when I put the pistons on the new rods they were wobbling all over. I want to know if I can put the old rods on the new crank and end up with a functional engine.
tl;dr- do 400s and 450s use the same crankshaft, meaning that I could transplant the crank from a 450 into a 400 using the rods from the 400?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts