Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I "thought" I was following directions, then this happened...

so, in turn, any advice for repairing or purchasing a new right set, please share

·
Registered
785 Posts
jazon said:
Well, I "thought" I was following directions, then this happened...

so, in turn, any advice for repairing or purchasing a new right set, please share
I picked up a right side switch from ebay for my 71 CL350 and used a looped steel cable and WD-40 to feed the wires through the handle bar.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much should I look to spend roughly, and if the starter is just going to be blocked off anyway, is the switch really necessary?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
jazon said:
how much should I look to spend roughly, and if the starter is just going to be blocked off anyway, is the switch really necessary?
Handlebar switches are very pricey, and I doubt if you'd find one without a starter button.

But Mike's XS shop has some for about $50 - not sure if they're for 7/8" bars, and the wiring would have to be figured out, but.......

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-51.html#products

·
Registered
785 Posts
jazon said:
Why would you want to delete the electric start button?
Switches can be had on ebay from about $30.00 to $150.00. I paid $43.00 for my right side switch used but, pretty much perfect on ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
fasterspider said:
jazon said:
Why would you want to delete the electric start button?
Switches can be had on ebay from about $30.00 to $150.00. I paid $43.00 for my right side switch used but, pretty much perfect on ebay.
I run one on my Cafe without a starter button :D That elect leg is so heavy, i had to remove it and have gained at least 2 mph :lol: Oh and it's from a SL? and identical to the CB450 except no button hole ;)

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Craigslist might be cheaper in the end but unless you're close to the seller then there's not as much of a guarantee on actually getting your parts.

IF I KNEW your location then a parts search might be more simple as well... ;)

For now these might be some options for you....?

This is your best bet probably: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1474663483.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/1475473385.html

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1478164114.html

Although, if you're going with kick only then you might not need the controls. Depends on what kind of kill switch you desire, etc...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Jazon... If you are removing the electric starter motor, that switch and button can be deleted...
Tuck it in or cut it out, just do not connect the other ends of those color wires......
:D Steve

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, this forum rocks so far.

The idea was to block-off the starter, therefore making the need for a starter bottom unnecessary.

Next, Instead of the engine stop button, just install a kill switch of some sort, most likely to one of the sides of the gauges.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Your "new" kill switch simply need to connect the black, and black with white stripe wires. ON (connected) is run ...Off is "kill"....... These "new" connections can be made where the handlebar wiring now connects to the harness, completely eliminating the handlebar unit.....Add a throttle (only) unit and go.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perfect, thanks.

As you know, I won't be going anywhere soon though. ;-)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Patience Grasshopper!...Even small steps will eventually complete the journey .....
:lol: Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts