Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. It's August. Temperature is 107 by 2:00 PM. At what point are we riding in too hot of air? 10-40 synthetic. 450CL. There's a long, steep grade nearby I have to take to get out of town. Took that grade in 82 degrees early this morning as a test. Engine ran fine but oil dipstick mighty hot to handle at the top. Thinking 90 plus might not be a good idea. SAE 10-50? Leave it in the garage and ride Greyhound? I hate to see August interfere with my taking it out of town but it's looking that way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As someone who grew up in South Florida's heat and humidity I can't say the heat ever bothered any of my bikes. The key was as always... change your oil frequently. Use the best stuff available. 107 is pretty darn hot though.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I never had any issues with the hot weather either with any of the bikes I have owned or ridden. Change to thicker viscosity oil if you are worried. But as long as you are moving and aren't just sitting and idling the engine you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
OK. It's August. Temperature is 107 by 2:00 PM. At what point are we riding in too hot of air? 10-40 synthetic. 450CL. There's a long, steep grade nearby I have to take to get out of town. Took that grade in 82 degrees early this morning as a test. Engine ran fine but oil dipstick mighty hot to handle at the top. Thinking 90 plus might not be a good idea. SAE 10-50? Leave it in the garage and ride Greyhound? I hate to see August interfere with my taking it out of town but it's looking that way.

I agree with the others good oil and ride moderately and you will suffer more than the motor.:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.