Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my heroes and unarguably one of the greatest riders ever, Malcolm Smith was badly injured in a bizarre accident while golfing.
His partner backed a golf cart over him,sending him to hospital with major injuries.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You'd be surprised how often serious golf cart injuries occur. Working in the emergency room, I've seen more than one teenager die as a result of their injuries when they either wrecked or were run over by golf carts. I hope that Malcolm comes out OK.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts
Yeah, Malcolm Smith was a huge part of the original On Any Sunday, and his versatility in so many different riding disciplines made him such a legend. I'm sure most, if not all here, have seen the movie - but my enduring memory of him in it was the grace and style with which he rode everything from motocross to desert racing to hill climb to trials, and excelled at pretty much all of them. Such a crazy way to get injured for a guy who had pushed the envelope so often in so many far more dangerous activities.

Here are a few articles I found about him - some of it I had never read

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/blogs/malcolm-smith-he-was-legend

https://powersportsbusiness.com/top-stories/2017/09/27/50-years-of-malcolm-smith-motorsports/

AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | Malcolm Smith

·
Registered
752 Posts
You just never know. Look at poor Nicky Hayden dying in a bicycle incident. Hope Malcolm makes out okay.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You just never know. Look at poor Nicky Hayden dying in a bicycle incident. Hope Malcolm makes out okay.
I understand they found the driver that hit him to be 70% at fault.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Bummer, hope he recovers ASAP. After the last time I watched "On any Sunday" I googled M Smith and read about him and his career, he is an amazing guy.

·
Super Moderator
10,316 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
OUCH! "...hit a cow head-on at high speed," I remember reading about this incident but didn't realize who it was. That 1st night would have been the worst part I think. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts