Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to ride my bike throughout the winter. Except during periods of precipitation which may cause ice or snow.
Does anyone know what the lowest temperature is that a bike may start?
When googling this, I was referred to a forum, where they talked about anything under 20 degrees the bike not being able to start. They recommended covering it and putting a space heater, light bulbs, and various other means to get it started below 20 degrees, on the engine.
My problem is that I will be working 8 to 12 hours. And during that time the temperature may fall 10 to 20 degrees. So I will not have anything to warm it while at work.
I am just wondering if anyone knows of the temperature where I will not be able to kick-start it if my battery won't start it anymore?
Thanks for any advice about this. I know there are other riders out there who ride through the winter. Those are mainly the riders I am reaching out to now.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you are gonna ride in real cold temps you should probably use a lower viscosity oil. I ride my bikes through the winter usually but only go when we get a day when the temps are over 40F.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i used to ride through the winters when i was a teenager on and off road mid to late 1970's. as long as you can physically take the riding conditions, the bike will be fine. i never used a different oil and the bike started fine using full choke then took a few minutes to warm up before taking off. quilted overalls and thick gloves and/or hand shields are your friend.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, everything is possible. I had ridden 600ccm CBF on Monday this week. It was -2.0 Celsius in the morning. I would not recommend this as a pleasant ride.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I rode my Honda S90 through the winter in the early '70, and could tell the temperature by when my hands stopped working; temperatures were down to 15-20F in the mornings, and I had a 7 mile ride. No issues starting it, but then, it was a much smaller engine. Never tried it with my 305 Super Hawk - it became a summer-only bike. If you are concerned about the battery starting it, get one of those booster batteries. I use one on damp mornings when my 450 is reluctant, and it spins right up. That is rarely below about 50F, now, so YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
Not the same comparison since I'm in Florida, but when I was 15 I rode my CT200 to school 12 miles in 28° with the old-school 3/4 helmet, flat face shield, scarf around my neck, double gloves and double socks... and the wind chill still froze me, when I got there I could barely open my hands off the grips (auto clutch on the bike, didn't do as much as you would with a manual trans). Bike started up just fine, but I swore I'd never ride in that temp again... nothing below 40° for me either since. Don't know how people do it in real winter weather

·
Registered
716 Posts
Not the same comparison since I'm in Florida, but when I was 15 I rode my CT200 to school 12 miles in 28° with the old-school 3/4 helmet, flat face shield, scarf around my neck, double gloves and double socks... and the wind chill still froze me, when I got there I could barely open my hands off the grips (auto clutch on the bike, didn't do as much as you would with a manual trans). Bike started up just fine, but I swore I'd never ride in that temp again... nothing below 40° for me either since. Don't know how people do it in real winter weather
I like this tale of woe from frigid Florida!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Our winter riding requires a pick up with a plow, a frozen lake, a studded dirt bike and a large bonfire for warmth. The bikes don't care how cold it is, just the humans.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
I like this tale of woe from frigid Florida!
Hey, it's all relative to what you're used to... last time I was in any snow, I was 5 years old in Michigan! Happy to have it so far back in my rear view mirror...

actually, we DID have snow here back in '77... 24° that morning at my Mom and Dad's house in Masaryktown, not that far from where I live now, and about 2" of it that lasted maybe an hour :lol:

1977 Masaryktown snow.jpg

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Bolt a sidecar on and it's actually kind of fun, as long as you dress right.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In 1959,60,61 I rode my HD to school and work . 5 miles of 4 lane the rest in town. Truckers loved throwing slush all over you. The bike took it fine,me not so much.

Bill

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
brutal! I rode my W a few weeks back when we had some sun in NY but the wind gusts were up to 30mph. Ugh! Had my cold riding gear on(minus long underwear) and even with my balaclava under my full face my ears ended up hurting. Got a quick, 2 day head cold but healed up fine. Had some difficulty keeping it steady when the gusts combined with oncoming traffic!

It's not something I actively seek out but I ride when I can no longer stand it and when I yell 'brutal' too much it's time to park it for the season. I am happy to report I broke my personal record for miles ridden per season and my fastest, though not smartest sprint on the street(93+mph).

Ordered new tires this week but learned the only local shop, with the safest ride route is now closing. ugh. Not seeing that yo-yo that charges $140/hr. Will have to see whom else is available within safe riding distance should I need something in the future.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Change em yourself. You will either keep doing it yourself or you will be much less upset paying the "Yo-yo" to do it!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Back in the 90's I rode my bike rain, snow, or shine when I lived in Denver. The motorcycle was my only means of transportation for quite a number of years.

The cold and rain never bothered me back then. It's the ice on the roads that was the real problem but if I rode it slow and easy with both feet down and stayed away from hills it was usually manageable LOL

Nowadays however, no thanks. My body simply does not have the same tolerance for being cold and wet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back in the 90's I rode my bike rain, snow, or shine when I lived in Denver. The motorcycle was my only means of transportation for quite a number of years.

The cold and rain never bothered me back then. It's the ice on the roads that was the real problem but if I rode it slow and easy with both feet down and stayed away from hills it was usually manageable LOL
I rode a moped a few years ago in the winter. I hit a patch of black ice and down she went. Slid around 20 feet. Got back on, drove it home and parked it, until warmer weather. I'll never ride during any possibility of ice or frozen snow again. Not that I'm afraid of getting hurt, but don't want to hurt my bike, or anyone else! Nothing like common sense to detur you from a possible accident. Especially in hindsight. Lesson learned!
What if a rider came up on a stop sign, or a traffic light with a frozen section? How would you ever stop?
My bike is my only means of transportation. But I want to keep it in as good a shape that I am able to. No I think I will walk, ride my bicycle, or take a bus, before trying to ride during icy conditions again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to ride my bike all winter. As weather permits. According to most of you, it's at least feasible!
I got an expensive pair of electric heated gloves the other day. Suppose to heat clear to the fingertips. Am shopping for an electric jacket or jacket liner. And possibly electric pants and or socks. Surprised no one mentioned these things. Maybe it was before they were made available?

·
Sensei
26,354 Posts
Maybe it is because your bike cannot provide all the "spare" electricity to power all that........

Get yourself a snowmobile suit........

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My dads brother was a fighter pilot in the second world war. Not a lot of heat in those old fighters. He gave me his flight suit,hood and gloves so wasnt to bad. As far as riding in bad weather if a bike is all you have you do what you have to. 65 years ago there wasnt any welfare, Cats buses , food stamps or other government help. Every body took care of there own and helped others when they could. I could go on but I have said enough.

Bill

1 - 20 of 38 Posts