Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
I'm new to the site here. I have a 1968 CB350. It runs good now but I'm slowly going through it to make it the best it can be. I've seen the Rick's High output charging kits on a number of sites and wanted to get some opinions on whether it was a good idea/upgrade for my '68 CB350. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
- Bill

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I personally haven't installed it on my bike, but most of the people on this forum praise it, since the original charging system BARELY made enough juice to break even.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The stock system is alright if you fit LED bulbs and a good regulator - it will easily keep your battery full (it should even if you keep the standard bulbs and not ride at idle). There is no point in making more power than you need, a stronger brushless generator just takes more power from the engine. Unless you plan on adding extra lights, a radio, or various heated gear on the bike, I do not think it is really needed. I think it is actually better that the power supply and consumption is not too much different, because too much power will start heating up the regulator and the stator (at least with standard shunt regulators).

·
Registered
555 Posts
I actually disagree. I’m on 100% LED bulbs, an upgraded R/R, and an AGM battery and I still only have an hour or two of confident riding before the idle starts to waver and sputter. It depends on your riding style and how far you go in a run, but the 360’s charging system is notoriously inadequate (you don’t start charging until 3000 rpm stock, and the LEDs bring you close to even at idle but not quite). I’m jealous that you don’t have issues with it, but I’d venture that those who find it weak vastly outnumber those with no problems. Doesn’t make it unrideable, but I’m swapping mine out with Matt’s Tri Sparck so that I can quit worrying about feathering the throttle at stoplights on my way home :D

To your point though, definitely gotta upgrade the R/R or you’ll fry the stockers when you upgrade the stator.

EDIT: Excuse me while I put my foot in my mouth real quick :D all of the above applies to 360s. 350 charging may be better for all I know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I do not agree with you, spirograph. The factory charging system should work for longer periods than two hours. It should be able to work indefinitely. If this is not possible, then there is something wrong with your system. I even have an satnav (always on) on the bike and I have never experienced these problems. I can ride all day without problems and I never charge the battery. The only time I charge the bike is when it's in storage for the winter. I use all bulbs and te bike has an extra parking light in the headlight that is also always on. For the headlamp I use a 35Watt H4 bulb.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
to answer op question = Yes upgrading to ricks stator and RR greatly improves charging consistency

Spirograph; if your battery is loosing charge after 2 hours of riding then you need to fix your charging system or replace a defective battery or both. the only way your bike will loose charge while riding is if you are idling the whole time

·
Registered
555 Posts
In Seattle, idling the whole time isn’t completely out of the question guys :D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
In Seattle, idling the whole time isn’t completely out of the question guys :D
I just turn the headlight off when I'm in stop and go traffic. My CB450K5 has a similar charging system. It puts out 110 watts when in the night time mode. About 1/2 half of that goes to the stock points ignition system. About 1/3 goes to running the lights and the rest is to charge the battery. Turn signals and the brake light is not included. A modern regulator/rectifier is about 15% more efficient and modern electronic ignition my save more.
My 450 has a new new wiring harness, PAMCO ignition, dyna coils and a 45/45 watt H4 headlight. The first season I was running the bike it has a 30/35 watt H4 headlight and it overcharged the battery. That is why I went to the 45 W headlight. I still think it is over charging and plan to go to a 55/60 watt this season. The bottom line is the stock charging system can be upgraded and made to properly work for not a lot of money. Stock alternator with upgrades is more than adequate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts