Honda Twins banner

Rich at idle, lean at speed (?) but running well...?!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jseconds77 
#1 ·
Hello Forum Friends,

Been awhile since posting as I have been tacking on some miles due to the warm October days. My ride starts up with ease and now idles more correctly thanks to the carb sync and cleaning of the jets. However, I had that weird rev climb when pulling in the clutch while stopping nonsense. This ceased all on its own today but I will double check how carbs are seated in their boots; Spraying WD-40 revealed no air leaks nor any 'hunting for idle' or hanging idle headaches. Gonna let that be ;)

Now, attached are pics of brand new plugs after 45 miles; Varying speeds, cracking throttle and reaching speeds of 75+ for a few seconds :) To me, they look lean despite no fuel delivery or timing issues. Idled today for awhile in driveway to check on things and they turned black & sooty. hmm...but to be expected with idling too much.

Thoughts? I think it's a rich at idle, lean at speed thing. Mains are 135s which it ran very nicely on for 2 straight seasons. I have 140s and 145s on-hand.
Floats are spot on at 20 mm, timing is confirmed.

I still think carb sync needs some more tweaking as I noted on way home I nearly closed the throttle and it still cruised. that cannot be 100% right....ha ha ha

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
lastly, I scored a bunch of NOS NGK B7ES plugs on closeout, but they are copper and not the normal nickel I usually purchase. Will this be problematic? They were 80 cents apiece.
oh, and throttle cables snap back when let go but the throttle sleeve on the handlebar feels a little tight. air/fuel screws are out 1 and a half turns, running B7ES plugs.

#3 ·
The B7e plugs are hotter than the 8's. So, it's not surprising the bike didn't like them. Your pic is too blurry to give any kind of opinion on the condition. To do a real plug check you need to do a plug chop. Run wide open and kill the bike and coast to a stop. Then you need to look way down in the plug to see what kind of burn you have. But, todays gas doesn't read on a plug like the old gas did.

#5 ·
The B8's are the oem plug heat range. A 135 MJ doesn't sound that far off though. After looking the parts book calls for a 130 MJ as std. and a 38 pilot/slow jet. You can post another pic of your plugs if you want but, anybody who tells you they can read a plug by a pic is fooling themselves and you. Where do you live? What elevation. That could play a role in your jetting.

If you are fouling B8's you are definitely too rich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.