Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still thinking about CL350 tire options. I had a thought of maybe using a ribbed front tire. I like the looks of a ribbed tire on a CB350, but how funky would it look on a scrambler? I do absolutely no off road riding. It's been so long since I rode with a ribbed front, I don't remember if they act goofy on grooved highways. Anyone done this on a CL ???

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Ribbed in the center. A Duro copy of the Conti Twins RB2 front tire pattern. I've been happy with it, but I don't take the bike off road.

IMG_3261.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That actually looks pretty good on there. Is that front a 3.00 or a 3.25 ? How much clearance between it and the fender? And does it feel any different than the scrambler type tread when riding? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's a 3.25...they don't make it in a 3.00 width. That said, it's a narrow 3.25, with plenty of fender clearance. Handles fine - the last tire I had on it was a rib, so I don't have any recent memory of the handling with a tire having universal-style tread.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Personally, I hated ribbed tires back when they came standard on many Hondas. They rarely wore properly over time (alternately high and low in the center no matter how attentive to air pressure you were) and yes, felt squirrely on grooved pavement. I used to run them at 35 to 38 lbs of pressure to try to avoid the weird wear but it never seemed to matter, so I went with a pattern-type tread on replacement like the old Dunlop K-81s - but that was just my experience. Can't speak to any of the modern replicas/replacements for the ribbed tread tires now

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It's been my experience that pretty much all front tires on motorcycles cup. It's easier to see on certain tire tread patterns, but it's there just the same. I have an Avon Speedmaster rib on the front of my other bike and it performs fine, too. About the only grooved pavement I encounter is in construction areas where the road surface has been milled. We don't have the common grooved pavement around here, so I can't address that possible issue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP here. I had asked about grooved roads because we have a fair share where I live. On my CL350, with regular universal tread scrambler front tire, it scares the heck out of me when I hit a section of grooved road. I just slow down, take a death grip and hang on. Feels like I am just along for the ride. I am afraid that a ribbed tire might be even worse. But who knows, maybe the same or better. It's such a struggle dealing with a 3.00-19 tire. Sometimes I think I will just put an 18 inch rim on. But that would look weird unless you put a CB fender on. Then you have the speedo gear to deal with. And on and on and on..........

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Don't do the death grip thing. Relax your grip on the bars and let it do its wiggle thing. It may be a little disconcerting, but there's no real danger involved. Same thing with bridge grates - it will do its little dance, but just let it and don't tense up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try that but it sounds scary !!!! That also makes me think of the steering damper - I have never tried snugging it up because of fear it will lock up !!!!!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Don't do the death grip thing. Relax your grip on the bars and let it do its wiggle thing. It may be a little disconcerting, but there's no real danger involved. Same thing with bridge grates - it will do its little dance, but just let it and don't tense up.
I'll try that but it sounds scary !!!! That also makes me think of the steering damper - I have never tried snugging it up because of fear it will lock up !!!!!
83XLX is exactly right - and I know it sounds scary, but fighting the bars can lead to worse consequences. the first bike I owned that had a funny wobble was my '75 Gold Wing, and I rode with another guy who had bought one new, same as mine. We weren't touring riders, we owned Gold Wings because they were the biggest bike Honda made at the time and we blasted around town on them a lot. Up around 90 or so it would want to shake its head a bit, but I learned that if you just "monitored" the bars with a light grip it didn't do it... it seemed counterproductive thinking at first, but it really was the solution. I changed tires on it prior to understanding the idiosyncrasy of the bike and it made no difference going from the stock Bridgestone (IIRC) to a Dunlop K-81, but learning to have a gentle feel and touch was the key. I've never believed in steering dampers because they add friction to the movement and it sucks at low speed, reminds you of the old balls and races neck bearings going bad in that it resists you. Believe me, if a big tank slapper happens, more often than not it ends badly no matter what you do - but if you're just riding like most of us, that's not likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts