Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Revs REALLY HIGH at startup without throttle application!!

Hello you beautiful souls.

So I recently got my cl350 running again not that it never was but changing cables and cleaning carbs, but I'm having a problem with it reving very high at start up and it never did that before. It goes up to 4000rpm and stays there. I thought it was the throttle getting stuck but i checked and snaps back nicely, but I did adjust the cables from the carb and it helped a tiny bit but not nearly enough as it should. The throttle cables are kind of long and I don't know if that could be a factor. I even have the idle mixture screw all the way in and choke off.

Ive been reading around and I've read that a vacuum leak could be a factor but I really have no idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If it's running with the mixture screws closed the throttle plates are not closing. Could be the cables are not properly adjusted (do you have the factory service manual?). Could be the adjustment screws holding them open. If your cleaning included removing the plates from the shaft they may not be centered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't thought of adjusting the plates. I will do that see if that does the trick and no i never removed the plates to clean them, i just rebuilt the carbs since they were beat up. I have a Clymer manual though

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's running with the mixture screws closed the throttle plates are not closing. Could be the cables are not properly adjusted (do you have the factory service manual?). Could be the adjustment screws holding them open. If your cleaning included removing the plates from the shaft they may not be centered.
Update: That did fix the rev issue, thank you

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Go to the Common Motor Collective Site and download the 350 FSM from their Manuals Page.

It needs to be y9our BIBLE for this bike. The Clymer's Manuals are VERY General and contain bad information for some specific functions and models.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am also having this issue, I've got my mixture screws turned clockwise two whole turns out, as directed from Common Motor..... I'm also getting backfires as I rev the engine while I've been adjusting my idle mixture screws

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Have you checked for air leaks around the boots?
I am also having this issue, I've got my mixture screws turned clockwise two whole turns out, as directed from Common Motor..... I'm also getting backfires as I rev the engine while I've been adjusting my idle mixture screws

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My issue was the throttle valves were being held open to much. I just adjusted them poorly when I rebuilt the carbs. Just adjust the screws enough so that they are barely being stopped by them and not the valve itself

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Make certain the Throttle Cable have Slack in them

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue with the CB900 I picked up a few months ago. I pulled the carbs with the intention of replacing the seal and found that one of the air intake boots was severely cracked. There was also bad gas in it since the P/O had left it sitting for a while so I'm thinking it could have been a blockage in the fuel system somewhere. Have you tried running a basic fuel/carb cleaner through it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts