Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 1974 cl360 that I just recently got started. At first, the right cylinder wasn’t firing, then the left, but that fixed itself, then it would die if I gave it any throttle, and now it immediately revs up to 5000+. I’ve checked the idle screw, and air mixture screws, but no change with those. Any suggestions on what this could be or how to fix it?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
...Many possibles....Can't rule out any without more info.....
Feel free to phone to discuss....540-525-5199

·
Registered
16 Posts
As ^^^ said, could be a lot of things. What immediately comes to mind is a vacuum leak. Check around the boots with carb cleaner while it's running to see what happens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure the pilot screws, to start out, are only a 1.25 turns out.
Make sure your throttle cables are not pulling the throttle open at all.
Vacuum leaks:
-Throttle shaft plugs, ensure they are not damaged or even missing. This will cause Idle to be very amiss.
-Make sure the intake manifolds (carb boots) are fully against the head, no gaps between them and the head AT ALL.
-Make sure the carbs get fully seated into the carb boots, sometimes the boots can sag and cause them not to seat fully. They can also sag and develop cracks.

·
Registered
1975 CL360
117 Posts
A vacuum leak at the carburetor boots is most likely. Another possibility is the vacuum-controlled pistons in the carbs could be stuck in the up position, exposing the main jets and pulling fuel to rev high at idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts