Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a rack of these Mikuni 32mm carbs (from an 83 GS750)

Wondering what it will take to install two of them onto a CB450?

Do I need special special intake manifolds? Spacers? Special throttle cable??

Thank you for any insights!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
You'll have to fabricate everything to make those work. And jetting will be a loooong education I suspect. What are you trying to do, just something different?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha ok, my goal is to get more power and reliability out of the 450 (I have free flow exhaust and pods), and I didn’t want to spend $500 on a new Mikuni kit.

I’ve seen others retrofit old Suzuki T500 Mikuni carbs onto 450/500T, so I thought maybe these could be done the same way, especially since jets are plentiful online.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Haha ok, my goal is to get more power and reliability out of the 450 (I have free flow exhaust and pods), and I didn’t want to spend $500 on a new Mikuni kit.

I’ve seen others retrofit old Suzuki T500 Mikuni carbs onto 450/500T, so I thought maybe these could be done the same way, especially since jets are plentiful online.
Maybe, if you have the time and inclination, thosr are cv carbs and they're usually sized different than a slide carb for the same application. The rest of the stuff may be hard or easy to fit, you'd just have to dig into it to see.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Jammer... give it a shot, I'm not very well versed on quad carbs. I remeber seeing them sinc-ed (vacuume) and one is a "base" carb all others are dialed in off that one carb.. so you may want to choose whatever carbs you want to use wisely (both adjustable and location of adjustment screws...
As for dialing in the jets.. has anyone ever used a wide band 02 sensor set up ? I know old school is run and pull plugs.. I am of the opinion... use new technology if it can help you...
I've seen CB 750s with old Amal carbs....
I'm sure it can be done, like Lefty said.. it just may take some work and time

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Jammer... give it a shot, I'm not very well versed on quad carbs. I remeber seeing them sinc-ed (vacuume) and one is a "base" carb all others are dialed in off that one carb.. so you may want to choose whatever carbs you want to use wisely (both adjustable and location of adjustment screws...
As for dialing in the jets.. has anyone ever used a wide band 02 sensor set up ? I know old school is run and pull plugs.. I am of the opinion... use new technology if it can help you...
I've seen CB 750s with old Amal carbs....
I'm sure it can be done, like Lefty said.. it just may take some work and time
There was a guy selling a 02 sensor set up on here awhile back. He was trying to set up lectron carbs on a cb450.
They do seem like they could be a promising tool. This is why a good running bike and one to work on is essential!

·
Registered
163 Posts
O2 sensors alone would be great and with fuel injection linked to an electronic ignition would be awesome.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone ever successfully installed EFI onto these old twins?

Although there is something nostalgic and cool about running carbs... Once you get them dialed in, they work great.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think there's someone here working on it, and some comments have been made to the effect that the charging system isn't up to the electrical load presented by the EFI so the bike would need an improved stator/rec/reg setup (like the higher-output Rick's set) before it could be possible. It's intriguing for sure, but then the bike becomes even more of a mod than a restomod (and even more expensive too...)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yup... the one thing you can depend on with old bikes/cars the more you "update/upgrade"... the more you WILL update/upgrade...
But a dash here, a dash there.. it will work together fine, as long as you do your homework...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts