Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my first retirement project was a '78 GL1000 with a '75 engine. That is pretty well complete now, so looking for something else to keep me busy this winter. Have looked (online) briefly at CB175K5, a 500, and a coupe 4 cylinder Hondas. Desire is for a twin. I have never owned a Honda twin. I have had a '77 GoldWing, an '86 SEi, a 2006 GL1800, and now the GL1000 I'm finishing. I like the idea of the early twins (and maybe singles). If I don't find another GL1000 project soon, I will do a twin.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Welcome Mr. Jones. What area are you in, maybe someone nearby has something or can point you towards viable choices.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm located in East Tennessee (just North of Knoxville.) Since WingDIng is in Knoxville next week, I will be there most days with my GL1000 project in Pistol Pete's booth. Real excited about that!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up with a really abused '79 CB750F that has been setting outside in the East Tennessee environs since last tagged in 1999. Now have it running and ready for tires (not about to try riding on tires that are legal drinking age). Have found (and corrected) SOOOO many issues caused by POs or "mechanics" - several downright dangerous (36mm '81 Kaw KZ750 leading-axle forks in the 35mm tripples for one). Hopefully the engine/mechanics are right now. Appearance will not be addressed and I will be offering it as a "rat bike".

Meanwhile, my GL1000 has been repainted and will be preped for showing at nearby car & motorcycle shows this summer.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Gl looks great! I will be starting my 80 1100 soon. Will be a naked custom cruiser. This is what it looked like the day I bought it for $200. Its been sitting 15yrs. Lots of work.
And I'll bet the po told you that he had it out for a ride a week before you bought it..........and then the earth began to gobble up the front wheel.:eek:

.......Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob, you'll have a ball! Luckily, this Honda aluminum polishes up real nice. Just requires a lot of that grease that comes from your elbow. I like that it has GL1000 valve covers - I've always felt them better looking.

The Hunley got its name because there was evidence inside the belt covers (and in #2&4 cylinders) that it had spent a considerable time under water. I never had to split the cases, but had to shave #2&4 cylinders with single-edge razor blades, replace all valves, and have the seats ground. She runs great, now! When I brought her home, I ratchet-strapped the motor to a furniture dolly that had two doubled 2x4s screwed to it. This allowed me to pull one wheel at a time, then suspension down to the bare frame, which I took off of the motor for painting. The dolly allowed me to move it around the garage and eventually re-assemble it in reverse. The wife was able to hold one end of the frame while we maneuvered it back onto the engine. Otherwise, some jack stands and a floor jack were used for balancing to remount tbe wheels.

This week I added Honda badges to the shelter. Prepping her for the Cabin Fever Car and Motorcycle Show in Knoxville next weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Retirement project

Just like I said, FUN. I love it. And the challenges make it better. If it were easy everyone would do it. ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, Bob: CHANGE YOUR BELTS! This is the standard 1st thing on an oldwing. They are interference engines. Belt changes are easy, and you can get them on Amazon or local parts stores. Should be done before you even check compression. Manuals for these are available in pdf form online. There are two great forums; classicgoldwings.com and ngwclub.com with very helpful members. Be warned that if you join and tell them that you have a new oldwing, you will be cautioned to CHANGE YOUR BELTS!

·
Registered
45 Posts
For sure. Actually this is not my 1st wing. I had a 82 back in 03 and 04. That one needed some work as well. In fact this one puts me at my 22nd bike since I started messing with them when I was11 or 12. So just short of 50yrs. I have had some pretty intense builds in there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You'll roll on through it, then. Looking forward to seeing what you produce. I've only had 9 bikes in my life, but 4 of them were GLs. Still riding our '06 with ~114k miles on it. I did assemble ~100 Hondas in the summer of '66 working for my cousin when I was 13. Deal was $3 each for every bike taken out of the crate, assembled, and rolled onto the showroom floor. He had the only dealership in ~100 mile radius, and sold them as fast as I could shove them in. Still, never owned my own until I was in the Navy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This sl350 I'm working on is one of those emotional things. I always wanted an sl when I was 12 to 14 or so but never had one. Was riding a 90cc hodaka. So when I saw this bike I volunteered to take it on. Almost as good as having one.
When u were assembling them, l was hanging out at the local honda dealership sitting on them and druelling all over that candy apple paint.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You'll roll on through it, then. Looking forward to seeing what you produce. I've only had 9 bikes in my life, but 4 of them were GLs. Still riding our '06 with ~114k miles on it. I did assemble ~100 Hondas in the summer of '66 working for my cousin when I was 13. Deal was $3 each for every bike taken out of the crate, assembled, and rolled onto the showroom floor. He had the only dealership in ~100 mile radius, and sold them as fast as I could shove them in. Still, never owned my own until I was in the Navy.
I started at my first Honda shop in 1970 putting bikes together out of the crate - at $2 a bike (remember, it was here in Florida). The only bikes that paid more were CB/CL175s as they came 2 to a crate back then, and I think they paid $3 per bike IIRC. I already had owned 4 bikes at that point, starting on a CA102 which my Dad and I took the engine from and put it in a C110 frame, then going from that to a CT200, then an S-90 before a CA72 while working at that first Honda dealer job where I bought my first new bike, an SL175K0. My V65 and 450 are bikes #33 and 34 to date for me

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know how u feel, but it's more fun now at 60 than it was at 16. Expeirence and wisdom makes it better I guess. $3 a bike.... If you did 250 or so you would make enough to buy one ?.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts