Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the sidestand today to strip its parts down to the bare metal for repaint, and I scuffed the sidestand spring (totally covered in surface rust) to a nice metallic shine. I am assuming that if it is left like this it will probably rust back up pretty quick when its back on the bike. What methods are out there to keep springs looking new again?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Kruck -

There's not much you can do, and yes, it will rust again almost immediately, doesn't even have to get wet.
Fortunately, those springs are still available from Honda, for less than $2 for 350/450's.
I'd just spend the $2, personally....

The brake pedal springs are not, and are pretty hard to find now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Kruck,

I tried to use MAAS metal protector and discovered it prolonged the inevitable(rust). My new method is Carnuba wax. I read somewhere that it creates a barrier thus preventing rust/oxidation. I assume it too will not stop it but prolong the inevitable longer than MAAS. We'll see since i just put it on a few days ago. The MAAS I used a few months ago and placed a few of the pieces on the shelf in the garage. I look at it recently and discovered the rust was starting to show.

So my options was to apply MAAS every month or so or try something new. I'll let you know my results of the wax.

Matt

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I powdered mine, but a high quality paint has worked for me before. It will never last long though. You just have to live with that..

TIP: When you go to put the spring back on, jam a bunch of pennies or dimes into the coils to lengthen the spring. It goes on really easy, then you just remove the coins. No prying necessary. You may damage your precious though.. (paint)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats taters precious?

Haha I think I will live with the rust for now and toss in that spring next time I need to order multiple OEM parts...whenever that happens

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have zinc chromate parts such as springs and you wish to restore them there is zinc brush electroplating followed by a chromate dip. One can get a few of the zinc brush solution bottles and a zinc brush and then make a small plating bath as one needs a good layer of zinc before chromating. This way to a small scale bath would be less expensive than a 1.5 gallon kit. For most zinc chromate Honda parts--degrease, remove the rust with a Evaporust soak. scuff real good with Scotch Bright, degrease, then bath plate with zinc, dip in chromate conversion-- brand new again! In that there are a lot of zinc chromate parts on a old bike; if one is into such a craft you can keep up all of the parts and before they carode to the steel-there-by never needing to buy replacements again-spokes, nuts and bolts, springs, sprockets and sprocket covers. I'm still working on brush cobalt but I already have several parts on the bike that are my own cobalt instead of sent out for re-chromed and I'm the only one who knows!

·
Registered
439 Posts
being on the recieving side of broken spoke syndrome, I highly recommend you inspect and replace spokes when they are bent, nicked or rusted... the poor things experience ALOT of stresses over the years and do deserve to be retired. Same goes for engine studs! just my .02c worth, danWI

·
Registered
45 Posts
Long term preservation one should replate before rusting (and deplated not sanded or eched). Stressed items should have a replace time too. Springs go soft over time but can be treated if they are hard to replace springs. I don't know the specifics about springs but an old time spring blacksmith heated a set of old springs, burried them in wood chips while glowing red hot, then quenched them untill he got them back into condition--my rear shock springs may be impossible to replace (oem) and one day that will be what's needed -- when one considers what plating chrome on springs does interms of hydrogen ion infiltration it may be needed just for that even though the spring was good when the time to replate came due.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts