Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New member here, I posted in the intro section the other day but wanted to get a project log going, I figure this would be the best way to keep me moving forward! For starters, here'e my first foray into classic Hondas, my '76 750K.

I got it kinda by chance - at the time I had an '88 VLX set up like more of a rat rod. It was super uncomfortable and rode like crap, but I was 25 and it looked cool, so go figure. One day I found an ad on Craigslist for the 750, and they guy said he was looking to trade for a chopper. Just for fun I sent him a pic of mine, and he jumped right on it, by the next day we just traded titles. It only had 8,000 miles on it and other than some rust in was in decent shape, and I met his dad who supposedly was the original owner. It was rattle can green and black, so I had it repainted in I believe Sunburst Orange (I know they didn't offer it in 1976 but I love the color). Over the years I converted it to electronic ignition, replaced the rear shocks, went with a solid state reg/rec, did a ridiculous amount of carb cleaning/fixing/rejetting to fix all the stuff the kid had done to it, and the usual tire/tube/chain replacement. Within the last few months I bought all new repro. switches and controls and mirrors, and then had the headlight bucket, triple trees, gauges, and a few other misc. bits repainted. The exhaust has some holes that I covered with some wrap and the rear spokes/wheel are a little rusty and could use a refresh, but it's mechanically sound, starts right up, and runs amazing all day long.

While it's a great bike, it's heavy and a little cumbersome. I decided my next project would be something a little smaller, and before I knew it ended up with a '72 CB500K and shortly thereafter a '73 CB350F. I moved a couple years ago from Nashville to FL, and the projects were put on the back burner for bit, then redoing an old house put an even bigger delay on them.

I've always had a soft spot for high scrambler pipes, but they weren't really practical on any of my fours cylinder bikes, so I knew a CL350 was next. I ended up finding a deal on one (well, that's what I told my GF...), and here it was the day I bought it.

Pretty clean, intact, and runs OK. Not on the bike in the pic but laying in the bed of my truck were the front fender, side covers, airbox, OEM tail light, and a few other misc. parts. My vision is to keep it mostly original, clean up some bits that need attention, and then ride the hell out of it. The plan is to repaint the engine, frame, and fenders, but leave the tank side covers with the nice natural patina/fading - little bit of turpentine (it's all I had at the time) and some wax and they ended up looking pretty good. I didn't really document my process until recently, so I don't have a lot of pictures from early on, but I'll post what I have. First thing was shipping the seat pan out and getting it reupholstered, I was looking for something with a lower profile, and @rangeneedlework on Instagram knocked it out of the park:

New switches, tail light, and turn signals from Modern Motorcycle Co:

Motoscope Mini in place of original gauges (if anyone need them, let me know). The mount is temporary until I come up with something more permanent:

Broke the reed switch that came with the Motoscope, but I found that a generic (and much cheaper) door alarm switch works exactly the same. 3D printed a little bracket and we're in business (wiring was temporary to make sure it works, I swear it's soldered and clean now!):

I don't really intend to do any serious offroading, but I think stone guards look cool (I know, I'm a poser). I found one I liked but the brackets were too small, so I cut them off and 3D printed some. We'll see how well they hold up to FL heat:

Here's my carport at the moment, I wish I had a garage, but not yet. Eventually I build a workshop in the backyard:

So yeah, that's where I'm at. Other things I've done include Pamco ignition, new coils/wires/caps/plugs, completely remade the wiring harness with all new connectors, new solid state reg/rec. At the moment I'm struggling with a little rough running/hiccup at lower speeds and RPMs, but once it's wide open this bike flies. I'm 6'/200 so I'm wondering if maybe it's just my weight that's the culprit. Once the engine is sorted out, I need to do a little more fabricating with the fenders, a better mount for the Motoscope and indicator lights, and a new headlight housing. I also broke the headlight mounting ear when I was trying to remove one of the reflectors, and could see that the tops of the forks were solid rust, so I plan to replace the forks and rebuild everything soon too. The other big thing is a new upper triple tree, mine is cracked in a couple places.

Once I get the running issue sorted out, I'll tear it all apart and repaint everything, and then put it back together. I've got a spreadsheet going of just about every nut and bolt on the bike, I'm going to be replacing everything with stainless hardware, with all allen button and cap screws. I'd also like to paint the wheels and hubs black, which means relacing wheels. I've done it before on the 750 so I know I can do it, but not looking forward to it. It's also frustrating that with a 19" wheel and drum brakes, the only thing I can find are $120/wheel stainless steel spokes. I know they're better, but I'm cheap!

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
Great start - I'm not necessarily into the style you're going for on the 350 but I do like the work you've done on the 750. I'm a big fan of the Sunrise Orange (came on the CB750K4 in '74) too, always looks good on them, and the SOHC 750s always look great in stock form. I'd love to have another one actually... I like your quote about the previous bike "It was super uncomfortable and rode like crap, but I was 25 and it looked cool, so go figure"... yep, we see a lot of bikes here that might fit that description! Looking forward to watching your progress

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome..........

I like the seat, interested on what comes of the 350.

I truly like that 750 too. Wish I could get mine going.......been a real pita so far.

Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple updates... I was planning to use the original headlight/turn signal mounts, but I wanted to remove the reflectors. I had to fight with one of them, and as soon as I put some elbow grease into it the whole mount disintegrated and came apart, leaving about a 1" diameter hole in the mount. A ton of rust/crud came out, and I could see the upper portion of the forks were shot. I ordered replacement headlight/signal mounts on eBay as well as a cleaner aftermarket set of mounts from 4into1, and a new (old) triple tree, since mine was cracked on both sides. I also cleaned the carport a little and set up an old rolling cart/table to give me some more wrenching room:

With a lot of pounding by a rubber mallet I reluctantly got them apart:

I was hoping that I could just sand and paint the upper portions of the forks and not have to replace them, but the pitting on the lower portions was so bad that there was no way they would seal, so I ordered replacements.

I work at an Audi dealer, and one of the perks is access to a huge parts washer, so I put the lower portions in. The pictures don't do justice to how much cleaner they came out, and they're in good enough shape that I'm probably going to buy a bench grinder and try to polish them instead of painting them. Here's the washer and a before/after:

I have hit a little roadblock that I could use some help on... I had no problem getting the lower portion of the forks off (the part that's in the washer), but I can't for the life of me figure out how to separate the "guts" to install into the new fork tube. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
If you go to cmsnl.com or Partzilla.com and look up your specific model, you can see an exploded view of the assembly of all sections of your bike. Here is the one for the forks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at that, I love that site. I just can't separate 19/30/6 from 8. It looks like the cap (19) just threads into 8, but I don't know how to hold 8 steady to unscrew the cap without marring 8.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your 750 is a beauty, great job! I'm sure the cl will turn out just as nice. If you happen to find a pamco ignition for sale please let me know where, seems they have disappeared from the face of the earth ?

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
If you happen to find a pamco ignition for sale please let me know where, seems they have disappeared from the face of the earth ?
You can still find them on eBay, but know that Pete is done - either retired or just out of business, so no future support or warranty will be available (though even when he wasn't done, support was spotty at best in recent years)

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I ran into a problem I didn't anticipate. I rebuilt the forks, and the plan is to use smaller headlight mounts since the originals basically disintegrated. I want to use the original fork gaiters, but now there's a gap between the tops of them and the bottom of the lower triple tree. Before I get to fabricating something, any off the shelf products or ideas to fill the gap?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I can’t really tell from your picture, but do you have the D-shaped washers that go in the pinch bolt gaps in the top tree? They prevent over tightening the pinch bolts and breaking the top tree.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can’t really tell from your picture, but do you have the D-shaped washers that go in the pinch bolt gaps in the top tree? They prevent over tightening the pinch bolts and breaking the top tree.
Yep, they're there. On the original triple tree they were missing and of course it was cracked on both sides. eBay to the rescue!

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
I think you're stuck with using aftermarket gaiters, there's no way the originals will expand to fill the gap. I just put my front end together and had to heat and stretch them some to get a good fit using all original parts.
I do have a new right side chrome headlight ear. The left one is harder to find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I came up with a solution. I took some measurements and made a piece to fill the gap on my 3D printer. I used red filament to mock it up, but I'll make the final product in black and maybe paint it to help with sunlight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice solution... does it fit the fork tube snugly? If not, as the boots get old and potentially sag, it will droop down with them. Looks good (y)
Yeah the diameter of the fork tube is 33mm and I made the diameter on the inside of the red piece 33.5mm. I designed a lip on it so it locks onto the top of the gaiter, and right now with the bike on a jack with no front wheel, it's all nice and tight. Once the wheel is back on and the fork compresses a little under the weight of the bike, it will only serve to hold it in place even more (in theory).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts