Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings!

My outfit is called RestoCycle and my name is Nils Menten. I might know a couple dozen of you guys from other boards, or even Facebook.

Excited to announce some news for the new year that we have been hatching for a little while.

FREE SHIPPING ON VAPOR BLAST PROJECTS BY RESTOCYCLE!

Effective 1/1/2017 RestoCycle is now offering free return shipping to our vapor blast customers for their projects, as well as deeply discounted inbound shipping. We would not be able to do this without the support of our shipping partner UPS, as they have extended additional discounts to us in order to make this possible.

Here's how this works:

Visit our website to get an idea of what your project might cost by viewing the representative projects gallery, or better yet, complete the online ordering form and request a quote. You can easily upload photos of your project right there on the form and we will get right back to you with a firm quote.

On the order form, include the weight and dimensions of your box(es). We will use that to generate inbound shipping labels that we will email to you, which will cost about half of retail shipping costs at places like the UPS Store, or PakMail.

Print and tape the label to your (well packed) box and drop it at any nearby UPS Store or depot for free. The closest drop off locations will be in the instructions on your label.

We will bill you at cost for the inbound shipment, along with the charges for your project when it is complete, via an emailed invoice. Click right in the emailed invoice to pay online with a credit card, and your parts (and shipment tracking info) will be on their way back to you just a few days after we get them.

Click here to see a gallery of representative projects and their pricing: Vapor Blasting for Vintage Motorcycles - RestoCycle LLC

Click here to request a quote on a vapor blasting project: Vapor Blasting for Vintage Motorcycles - RestoCycle LLC

THANK YOU ALL for your support of our business these past two years. Your support and the great feedback we have received along the way has been fantastic, and we are very excited to be able to offer this to you moving forward. Please be in touch anytime with questions or comments, we're always glad to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
Tucson, Arizona, USA
[email protected]
Vapor Blasting for Vintage Motorcycles - RestoCycle LLC
(520) 308-3705

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Nils.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Hi Nils,
Bill H. here in Delmont,PA.Thank you very much for the beautiful zinc plating work you sent out and had done on my CL175 front spokes,they came out better than new and I'm sure will last at least another 40+ yrs. ;)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
:eek: DAAAAAAAANG. Those look amazing!

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
681 Posts
Understand you are in Arizona, but I wish you were in NJ ! (Though you probably are glad you are NOT in NJ)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice Facility. I envy you in that you found your calling and are doing what you love.

Understand you are in Arizona, but I wish you were in NJ ! (Though you probably are glad you are NOT in NJ)

How did you come about getting a bike from Switzerland as a project? Was it sent from there to you?

If so, the shipping cost must have been TREMENDOUS !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Nils,
Bill H. here in Delmont,PA.Thank you very much for the beautiful zinc plating work you sent out and had done on my CL175 front spokes,they came out better than new and I'm sure will last at least another 40+ yrs. ;)
Hey Bill!

It was my pleasure to help you with that, and thanks for welcoming me here. Nice group!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice Facility. I envy you in that you found your calling and are doing what you love.

How did you come about getting a bike from Switzerland as a project? Was it sent from there to you?

If so, the shipping cost must have been TREMENDOUS !
It took a while to 'get there' peejay, but I am definitely happy doing what I'm doing, and challenged and interested, and that is a great feeling again. It had been a while :)

As rare as Z1s are here in the USA they are even scarcer in Europe. My customer is also a friend - we met on a tour of South Africa and have toured several times together since. Taking him around the Southwest on tour in June. Shipping the bike to him is going to cost a grand or so, not as bad as I thought. It was purchased here in the USA.

As far as my location goes, I am as close as your local UPS store! Seriously, I have customers all over the country that send me parts. I returned an entire CB550 engine to Tennessee for $70. Not nothing but not terrible either. I get a decent discount on shipping, and so I advise my customers to pack up and weigh their stuff, measure the box(es) and then I use that to make an inbound label, that I email to them. Slap that on the box and drop it at any UPS store or depot for free, done.

PJ, Curtis, DT, Frogman, Bill, thank you all for the warm welcome!

Nils

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome!

Nils vapour blasted the carbs for my wife's bike and will be getting the engine soon. he sent me a picture and now i'm reloading the ups app like 50 times a day to see when they'll get here. hahaha.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Welcome!

Nils vapour blasted the carbs for my wife's bike and will be getting the engine soon. he sent me a picture and now i'm reloading the ups app like 50 times a day to see when they'll get here. hahaha.
Hahaha! I have been known to do that too :)

Thanks Rom!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are you South African ? If so- Hoe gaan dit?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nils - welcome to the forum and those are some great pictures. Would love to see some more. How do the finished products stand up to time and the elements? Do they need to be treated or sealed? They look so great I would hate to paint them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nils - welcome to the forum and those are some great pictures. Would love to see some more. How do the finished products stand up to time and the elements? Do they need to be treated or sealed? They look so great I would hate to paint them.
I've got tons! Thanks for asking, will bombard this thread tomorrow.

N.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had a thought, and don't know the answer, but maybe you do,

If a complete engine was removed, valve cover left on, but carbs and charge/ignition systems removed, exhaust and inlets plugged.

Can the engine be vapor blasted this way or does the engine have to be stripped apart?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I had a thought, and don't know the answer, but maybe you do,

If a complete engine was removed, valve cover left on, but carbs and charge/ignition systems removed, exhaust and inlets plugged.

Can the engine be vapor blasted this way or does the engine have to be stripped apart?
The short answer, in my opinion, is no. Don't try it. The long answer is that I believe people have tried it, but I would not (again). Here's why:

15 or so years ago when was doing my first restoration (of a Suzuki GT750), I got the bright idea to walnut shell blast the engine and then polish it. I taped and masked and plugged and and and till I'd swear nothing would get past it, and off we went. It looked AMAZING. Then I pulled the plugs and tape and much to my dismay, found media behind them. In massive denial I vacuumed and swabbed, and rigged up a kerosene flush and lost sleep over it all and finally took it apart, to find media in the sump and crankcase, likely carried there by my flushing. So the entire thing got disassembled and cleaned and rebuilt, at meaningful expense.

So I would not. I've soda blasted and painted assembled engines and that is a very viable process and in fact closer to original appearance than vapor blast for old Hondas. In the case of a good running motorcycle that needs cosmetic restoration, I will steer my customers in that direction every time.

And in fact I just did that very thing for one of them :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More...

This engine was soda blasted and painted 8 years ago. This motorcycle sits in my office, and the engine still looks like this. Valve cover was ceramic coated, sidecovers were polished:

This was also painted too. Took "Best Japanese Bike" at it's one and only show:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts