Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I bought my CB400TII with 12k two years ago which has always had a oil leak from the lower cylinder head gasket and decided now is the time to replace it. I already got the FSM and bought a full gasket set but I have a question regarding the piston rings. Can I reuse them? Piston inspection shows no carb deposits on rings, normal cylinder wall glaze, no valve leaks using the fluid and air compression test. Figure I could reinstall the rings in the factory positions.

I'm trying to keep this fix as low-budget friendly as possible. But if i have to bite the bullet on Honda rings I will.

Cheers,
JB

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I bought my CB400TII with 12k two years ago which has always had a oil leak from the lower cylinder head gasket and decided now is the time to replace it. I already got the FSM and bought a full gasket set but I have a question regarding the piston rings. Can I reuse them? Piston inspection shows no carb deposits on rings, normal cylinder wall glaze, no valve leaks using the fluid and air compression test. Figure I could reinstall the rings in the factory positions.

I'm trying to keep this fix as low-budget friendly as possible. But if i have to bite the bullet on Honda rings I will.

Cheers,
JB
I always replaced them, but as long as the end gap is within specs. Just lightly hone the cylinders.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Engine section
Yes, you can re-use the old rings. Personally for the @$60 I'd replace them. Part number 13011-413-025

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If the engine is running ok then replace the gaskets and leave the cylinders alone. If you think there is a blow by problem then do the rings. This can get messed up. The old mechanic saying is: "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

·
Registered
43 Posts
I belief the correct procedure is that you can place all back and should not rehone if nothing is changed because the rings are matched to the cylinder. If you replace the rings you must rehone or the rings will not set.

I have reassembled with the old rings with no rehone without problems, but with all within spec.

But this is just my opinion

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have put several pack together with the old rings with out a problem but ring end gap was in spec and cylinder look good. Im with Jim and Tom if it aint broke dont fix it.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update.

After more research, speaking with a local moto mechanic and Wiseco support a light 5 second flex hone per cylinder seem the way to go. The bike is now back together, running strong and no more leak!

Thanks everyone for their input!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where did you get the gasket from and brand? mine has started to leak now...if I can avoid it, id rather not buy an entire gasket set for one...then again, if that gasket set includes the petcock seals since I'm leaking from there as well now, thatd be great

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Where did you get the gasket from and brand? mine has started to leak now...if I can avoid it, id rather not buy an entire gasket set for one...then again, if that gasket set includes the petcock seals since I'm leaking from there as well now, thatd be great
You'll need more than just the base gasket. Petcock seals are a separate thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts