Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a CB250 with worn splines on the gear shaft/spindle. I have a spare worn gear shift lever which I could sacrifice and drill a pin into, but have read on the forum that it is possible to replace the spindle without having to break the engine apart.

I can’t see it described in the manuals I have. Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea of how to go about it?

If it looks like a complicated job I may just go for the pin option ( also because there are hardly any decent parts here in the UK and finding a replacement without worn splines will be a right task!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I dont think a pin would last very long ,it would be a little lose from the start. Could you spot weld it on the outside edge then you could grind it off when you have to remove later on.

If you do pin it use a tapered pin thats threaded on the end for a nut then you can tighten up as it wears.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bill.

I had also thought it could work its way out eventually too. I was planning on putting some loctite on it. A spot weld may be a better solution.

Anyway, if I can find a decent spindle I will swap the whole lot, but I may experiment with this in the meantime. I’ll post any results if I do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts