Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... been awhile. Winter and all those excuses.

I have been working on the 350 trying to get it ready for good weather. Tonight I put my fenders back on after getting them powdercoated black. When I was re-installing the front wheel I believe that two of the studs that the nuts go onto to retain the front wheel have been stripped. One on each leg.

I haven't taken it all apart yet to check, but I was wondering if the studs were still available or if someone else has a solution... I was thinking maybe using allthread.

I'm hoping its just the studs themselves or the nuts and not the aluminum fork lower legs.

Any advice you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.

If it winds up being the fork lowers that are stripped what do you think would be the best way to approach a repair?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Woody.... 8mm studs are available at automotive fastener suppliers....DO NOT use all-thread, it is not strong enough, and you want torsion strength to help align and "lock" the fork assembly..... I have loads of old forks I can pull a couple out of if you want original parts...... Steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Steve. My post might have been a little premature... but I'll tear into them in the next couple of days and figure out what it is exactly that has stripped stripped. I'll let you know what I find.

-Woody

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crises overted

Well, I totally jumped to an assumption on the fork studs. Once I finally got back out in the garage and looked it turned out that only two of the nuts were stripped and not the studs at all. A quick trip to the hardware store and I am good to go. Should have my freshly painted/pinstriped tank back midweek and new pictures will ensue shortly after.

Steve,

Thanks for your offer on the studs. You are a good man.

- Woody

1 - 4 of 4 Posts