Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a leaking right fork, so it's time to replace seals on the CB350K4.

Looks like Honda has a special tool for this. What tool do you guys use?

Also, the body colored covers....do they stay on? Will the fork tubes slide out from these once the upper and lower bridge screws are loosened?

I should have known something was amiss when I replaced the fork oil. Hardly any oil came out of that side when drained. Now that it's full, there is some seepage after a ride.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
pantera1 said:
Looks like Honda has a special tool for this. What tool do you guys use?
I use a chunk of plastic pipe, myself. An appropriate size to match up with the fork seal diameter.
Then whack it with a rubber mallet, drives the seal right in and the rubber mallet won't ding your fork tubes.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Same proceedure, except I use a rubberized "dead-blow" hammer... I also slot the first foot of plastic pipe so it can be "adjusted" to size by tightening a couple of "radiator-hose" clamps on it........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the kind of tool not everyone has! I like it.

How about those body colored covers? Do they come off, or can the tubes slide out from them?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Theoretically, the tubes will slide right out leaving the body parts in place....Realisticly, you'll have to remove the wheel and fender, and work one side/tube at a time out..... Rust build-up and hardened rubber inserts make it a job...... Don't be afraid to lube everything up with a little hot soapy water....I usually pull the top tree and tap the tube down with a plastic pipe and dead-blow similarly to how you drive the seals in (smaller pipe)...Once out and cleaned, they usually go back in fairly easily (again lubed).....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch for your answers. This site is teaching me a lot about this bike....much appreciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok....just getting around to replacing the fork seals. Now both sides are weeping fluid.

The tubes came out easily. My question is how does that decorative chrome piece came off the lower fork? It looks to be "stamped" on with a couple of dimples. I tried putting a small screwdriver into a small relief near the dimples to pry it, but didn't want to bend anything up. Hoping it just twists off, but have to get past the 37 years of gunk. :lol:

Any tricks? Also, what's the best way to clean up the corrosion on the upper tubes?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
pantera1 said:
Ok....just getting around to replacing the fork seals. Now both sides are weeping fluid.

The tubes came out easily. My question is how does that decorative chrome piece came off the lower fork? It looks to be "stamped" on with a couple of dimples. I tried putting a small screwdriver into a small relief near the dimples to pry it, but didn't want to bend anything up. Hoping it just twists off, but have to get past the 37 years of gunk. :lol:

Any tricks? Also, what's the best way to clean up the corrosion on the upper tubes?
I can't tell you how to get the decorative chrome piece off but the rust on the top of the fork tube can be cleaned up with some steel wool and chrome polish. If it's real tough you can use some 600 grit paper and WD40 but it's covered up by the headlight ears so it won't be visible anyway.

·
Registered
608 Posts
while you have the tubes out, now is a good time to pull off the top clamp and pull the steering triple tree and grease the steering head bearings, (warning loose ball bearings) put a towel or rag around the lower stem to catch them, a lot easier than picking them up off the floor (37 8mm balls 19 in the bottom 18 in the top)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
pantera1 said:
My question is how does that decorative chrome piece came off the lower fork? It looks to be "stamped" on with a couple of dimples.

The chrome piece twists, then pulls off.
The dimples actually locate it in sort of shallow grooves.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

The steering head bearings feel real good yet. Going to save that project for winter when the whole bike gets disassembled and cleaned up. For now I just want to get riding again!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I'd give that grease job some thought if it were me. It's seriously an hour job when you already have the front end apart, and then it won't need done in the future.... My two cents...........

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the chrome covers off....with a little help with strap wrench. :D Oil seals are ordered thru the local Honda dealer, however the dust seals are no longer available. We'll see what kind of shape they are in, otherwise it'll be time to search for those.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It appears someone has been in these forks before. The 8mm bolt at the bottom of the fork was kind of messed up. A 6mm Allen wrench did not have a lot of bite, and a 1/4" was too big. I used a Torx T40 and Bobs Your Uncle :lol:

The oil seals don't actually look bad. I expected worse. There are no dust seals installed.

I'm wondering if new oil seals were installed at some point, but not correctly? I suppose having dust seals would also help keep the grit out of them

On the hunt for dust seals now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want to finish up this thread. New seals are in! And there is a new tool in the toolbox thanks to Steves suggestion of the slotted PVC pipe. Worked perfect.

Also removed and greased the head bearings. Everything looked real good to begin with, but I cleaned them up anyway.

Went for a scooter ride tonight and the whole front end just felt more solid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts