Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic recommended that I replace my exhaust gasket on my CB360 because it seems to have an air leak. I attempted to remove one side of my exhaust pipes but I can't seem to unsrew the damn clamp off. It's has a bolt and nut and then a round lock type nut that doesn't want to come off? Does anyone know or have tried taking off these muffler clamps. It's almost impossible.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
PIC?... you simply take the nuts off the head-studs,(lift clamp ring and "splits' off) and unbolt the rear brackets from the frame....The entire header and muffler will come off as a unit...........

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like there is some extra crap there. Perhaps the PO messed it up somehow??

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Hey guys, he's talking about the muffler clamps, not the headpipe clamps.. Mine never did come loose. I gave up. They were really encrusted and rusted/baked on there.. Try soaking them with your favorite penetrating oil for at least a few hours.. Spray all bolts/nuts and between the header pipe and muffler as well as underneath the clamp.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Hey guys, he's talking about the muffler clamps, not the headpipe clamps.. Mine never did come loose. I gave up. They were really encrusted and rusted/baked on there.. Try soaking them with your favorite penetrating oil for at least a few hours.. Spray all bolts/nuts and between the header pipe and muffler as well as underneath the clamp.

GB :mrgreen:
the problem really isnt that the bolt and nuts aren't moving but there's an extra circular not that was used as a lock nut and what appears is that the previous owner shaved off the end of the bolt so it doesnt come off. Looking at bikebandit.com, the original parts are just a nut and a bolt. I'll just saw this bolt off, remove the clamp and order new a new nut and bolt. Thank you all for responding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I attempted to put on the new exhaust pipe gasket that I ordered on bikebandit.com but it didn't seem to fit. When i pulled out the old gasket, it was thinner and a bit smaller. What's the catch? maybe these aren't the original pipes?

I was told that I can also wrap graphite tape to seal the pipes. what do you all think and where can I order a graphite tape sealant. Cant seem to find them online.

Please help. I'm a nubee wanting to learn how to wrench but most importantly...I wanna ride. Any assistance or recommendations are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
if your talking about the header seals they start of one size and compress down thinner as they form the seal when you torque up the header flange bolts. normal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just me, resurrecting zombie threads in my own search for answers!

Agreed, it sounds like the OP is talking about the joint between the muffler and head pipe, not between the head pipe and engine. Right here:

Interestingly, the fiche doesn't show it, but on my CB350K4 there's a clamp there, a bolt with the nut tacked to the back side of the clamp. Mine is as tight as it can get, and it doesn't snug down onto the head pipe, so there used to be something there that's missing now.

I'm guessing the OP purchased an exhaust pipe ADAPTER, which allows you to run, for instance, a 1.5" ID muffler on a 1.25" OD pipe. I believe it's always in 1/4" increments like that- 1.25 to 1.5, 1.5 to 1.75, etc. And certainly, he's not going to be able to fit the muffler over one of those, because that's not what was in there originally.

Similar to my other resurrection, I suggest any future readers with the same problem pick up a package of this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... tid=489702 and wrap some around the outside of the header pipe, then fit the muffler over it and clamp it down. Do not use the activator epoxy unless you never care to remove your muffler from the header!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts