Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version:

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me where to find replacements for the rubber hose/boots that connect the carbs to the airbox? Or a workaround/hack that works well. Mine are cracked beyond repair.

Long Version:

I have a 1978 hawk cb400tII that I picked up for $300 and have been fixing up. These forums have been a great resource! The bike is currently running with just a few hiccups. It seems to bog down on the lower side of the power band. I think this might be due to the rubber boots that connect the carb to the airbox. I've taped them up as good as I can for the time being but can't find replacements. This is the main place I can think of where the bike might be sucking air. I've cleand the carbs and done all the other maintenance things I can think of. It runs good once you get to higher rpms or if I ease the throttle up. But if I try to dump it on the low end it bogs down and cuts out.

The other possible reason for the loss of power is that the pre-exhaust chamber is rusted out on the bottom. I'm getting a new one off eBay Friday. It seems silly that I can't find anything to replace these boots but I've searched high and low (including these forums). I'm almost ready to get some rubber cement and hose to make my own.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
THey only came with the air box, not separately. Check the builds in the sohc section for somebody near you that is turning theirs into a 'cafe' style bike. They usually prefer pods for that style (which are difficult to tune in ). Also check the ads in the parts for sale section. Failing that , there is a possible repair using cement and rubber from a scuba shop. (think wet suit)

·
Registered
22 Posts
eBay, search for the airbox and you should be able to find a good pair of boots, they can be refinished / softened up. That's is what I ended up doing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I feel like I'm going to end up making my own with hose and rubber cement. I don't want to have to buy a whole airbox just for the boots. If they were in really really good shape I might.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts