Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Besides checking to see if I can post on the new 450 section, does anyone have a good source for purchasing tires for a 73 K6 CB450?

In the past, my local Honda dealer installed a Bridgestone rear tire that's way too big and has only microscopic clearance with the swing arm.

Ted

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Ted....Looks like we're up and running......Good on Jayson and Bill!

The following source endorsement and recommendation has little or nothing to do with specific
info or specs. related to Honda 450's but they've proven to be a good, quick and value priced
source of a number of tires for me recently.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ath=33_120

Consider this more a lead than a solution. You still should know what you want re both type,
brand and size. They carry a good Dunlop Vintage Style that I've purchased as well as some Avon gripsters and Duro dual purpose tires that have worked well for me.

Real quick and shipping included in the price. Best, Blue

·
Registered
86 Posts
The stock rear tire size is 3.5"x18" (roughly 3.5" wide for an 18" rim). You can get most any tire in that size or its metric equivalent size.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Donny and Blue for the response.

Blue, that's what I was looking for --- a source/lead for tires. The local Honda dealer let me in the wrong direction, and if fact wanted to order Chen Seng tires to 'save me a few bucks'.

I would prefer Dunlops or at least Bridgestones. Don't want to trust my butt to cheap chinese tires.

Ted

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my tires from Chaparral. Their prices were as good as any other place such as Motorcycle Superstore or Southwest Motorcycle Tires, plus the shipping was free.

I ordered a pair of Avon Distanzias:

110/80x18 (110mm wide / 110mm*80% side wall height x 18in rim) for the rear at $89.85

100/90x19 for the front at $95.85

I think the rear looks a little short on the side wall height, but I wanted the 110 width. The PO of my CL450 had put Chen Shins on it: a 4.00"x18 rear tire that was almost as square as a car tire while the front tire (3.50"x19, when stock is supposed to be 3.25"x19) looked almost new except for where it had rubbed on the fender.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Ted.....Just a note. Here are the specs on the Dunlop K 70's I last bought from AMT for the K6 I just completed and sold btw. (I still have the K7)

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... 33_120_592

They're "OK tires" and gave the buyer the "Vintage" (British Bike) look he wanted.

Frankly, Avon Distanzia as Donny suggests are better tires with decent dual purpose capability and great hwy. I've run them for sometime now on my BMW R 90/6 and love em.

I've also run Bridgestone Trailwing on my XS 650's that I like. I pretty much have to get tires that are decent on dirt roads and trails as well as paved. It's a rural Utah thing.

As you've noted, you can't go much up size with 450's and an O-ring chain (wider) will make this even more sensitive. btw.. I don't do O-ring chains anymore on 450's they eat push rod actuator arms and cable hooks. Best, Blue

·
Registered
86 Posts
blues450 said:
As you've noted, you can't go much up size with 450's and an O-ring chain (wider) will make this even more sensitive. btw.. I don't do O-ring chains anymore on 450's they eat push rod actuator arms and cable hooks. Best, Blue
A PO of my CL450 put an o-ring chain on the bike. Luckily, I took a look at the actuator arm before the chain made it all disappear; because the chain had just broken through the cable hook, my brother was able to weld it for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sorry for the goofball question, but I really don't know and my dealer is pretty much clueless when it comes to bikes older than 1995. Do I have to get a tube type tire for my '72 CL450. I'm guessing it has the stock rims and the current tire has a tube. Can you put a tubless tire on the stock rims? That would really open up my purchasing options.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Yes, you CAN install a tubless tire, but you still have to put a tube in it!.... This does theoretically create "extra" internal friction and heating, but the result is nominal in normal street use..... In constant high-speed usage, (racing) the tires won't last quite as long, as the extra heat has no time to disappate....(soft, hot rubber wears faster)
I'm running tubeless tires with tubes in them on most of my bikes..... Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I may.....Communication insurance......the stock rims are made to be for tires which are run with tubes. Blue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts