Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where the heck do I get replacement seat foam for my '70 CL450?

Can a good upholstery shop cut seat foam to the right shape for my bike?

I'd much rather buy it than trust someone to cut one to the right shape but that's just me.

Hope someone knows something that i don't. Thanks!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any good craft store like Michael's or Jo-Ann's fabric and craft has marine grade seat foam.(For boat seat cushions.) Easy to sculpt with a sharp knife and dense enough for a bike seat. I just made a seat for my kid's Power Wheels Harley last week, and did my 550-4 with it two years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I wish I knew what Honda originally used on the early seats but I (and others) have been unable to locate a suitable replacement. The marine seat foam may feel right but I've found it to be much to soft. The stuff that was used for my '68 CL350 seat was recommended by a professional motorcycle seat guy and is a poor choice. Even though the seat looks good sitting on it for more that 1/2 hour and I can feel the seat pan and 'numb butt' sets in.

I visited a member of this board in California a year or so ago (I don't think he's a member anymore), and he ended using a combination of carpet subfloor padding stacked together to carve out his foam. This was necessary on the CL350 seat to get the proper support and shape of the original "red" foam (that was cut into blocks) the bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too fell into the "high density" foam trap from the craft store. I shaped it and put my cover back on and it's too soft. I'm going on a ride tomorrow and I know my butt is gonna kill me but oh well.

MNellis said:
I wish I knew what Honda originally used on the early seats but I (and others) have been unable to locate a suitable replacement. The marine seat foam may feel right but I've found it to be much to soft. The stuff that was used for my '68 CL350 seat was recommended by a professional motorcycle seat guy and is a poor choice. Even though the seat looks good sitting on it for more that 1/2 hour and I can feel the seat pan and 'numb butt' sets in.

I visited a member of this board in California a year or so ago (I don't think he's a member anymore), and he ended using a combination of carpet subfloor padding stacked together to carve out his foam. This was necessary on the CL350 seat to get the proper support and shape of the original "red" foam (that was cut into blocks) the bikes.

Did this guy stack the carpet padding solid or did he try to recreate the blocks in between the the seat pan and upper solid seat foam? If you talk to him anytime soon, I'd love to know. I thought the that the Hi-Dens foam would do the trick but I learned my lesson :roll:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I've read somewhere that seat foam from a car seat works well, and can be found at a junk yard cheap.

·
Registered
439 Posts
interesting idea! i'm curious about the auto foam, will look into it this summer. also, i have made seat padding from high density couch foam but was originally disappointed because of the crush-factor. i think the seat piece is so small, there is less area to compress than a couch cushion. i added 2 layers of floor padding, glued together with spray adhesive, and that much improved the seat. regretably, sold that bike so i don't have long-term testing info for you. maybe someone here have tried this too? danWI

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
restforyoursouls said:
Did this guy stack the carpet padding solid or did he try to recreate the blocks in between the the seat pan and upper solid seat foam? If you talk to him anytime soon, I'd love to know. I thought the that the Hi-Dens foam would do the trick but I learned my lesson :roll:
He layer'd two or three 1" pieces together and did not cut the blocks. the '68 CL350 seat is pretty thin so it will take less layering than the CB450 seat.

I've got the foam in the garage and I'll try to get a picture posted soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts