Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people mention replaceing their CB/CL coils with modern replacements from Mikes XS.

1.) How do you determine your coils are getting weak?
2.) Which models from Mikes XS would be a suitable replacement on a '73 CL350?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Just replace them and don't worry about it anymore. Your coils are almost 40 years old, they were never designed to last that long.......

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products

Part #17-6805 - Ignition Coil (Need two)

Part #23-3114 - Non-Resistor NGK Spark Plug Cap (Need two)

Part #23-2906 - XS Performance Silicone Plug Wires

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I just picked up a '72 CB350, so would these items, you listed Bill, be the same for it as well?

Also, how comparable size-wise are these to the stock ones? Just wondering about fitment and mounting issues.

Thanks for listing them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I just picked up a '72 CB350, so would these items, you listed Bill, be the same for it as well?

Also, how comparable size-wise are these to the stock ones? Just wondering about fitment and mounting issues.

Thanks for listing them.

There's an article here about how I did it on my 450 mutant - http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=782

I had to do a minor modification, but others have reported it as a direct bolt-up.
It applies to all our points-based 180 degree Twins.
I suspect it would be a bolt-up (or close to it) on a 350 as well, they're virtually the same mounting setup as a 450........

Definitely a great deal, and will completely eliminate that problem for many years to come...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just did this mod. Top notch service from mikesxs. All you need is some flat sheet metal. Really easy.

Do yourself a favor and get new points and condensor off ebay for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I swapped the points out on my KZ for a Dyna electronic ignition. Is there anything available like this for these Honda twins?
Word is that a Gold Wing Dyna rig will work on our bikes.
Can't confirm that personally. However, the early Wings use the same points as a 450, so there's probably something to it.
There's also the HondaMan points "amplifier" system, which I'm putting on my 450 this winter - already have it in hand.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've got two sets of PDF instructions on modifying and installing the GL1000 Dyna system on a CB/CL450.. One from a member here I do believe. Not sure where I got the other set. It's been done before by members here on a 450.

As for the CB/CL350 there are options out there for electronic ignitions as well. Most are pretty darned expensive though from what I remember..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nuttin wrong with points when you master them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I've got two sets of PDF instructions on modifying and installing the GL1000 Dyna system on a CB/CL450.. One from a member here I do believe. Not sure where I got the other set. It's been done before by members here on a 450.

As for the CB/CL350 there are options out there for electronic ignitions as well. Most are pretty darned expensive though from what I remember..

GB :mrgreen:
If it will work on a 450, then it will work on a 350..........

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts