Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get one besides paying $80 on eBay? Also need some new shocks...I like the style that is currently on there but would like to find all chrome ones if possible. Kind of on a budget here so if y'all know of any cheaper but still not complete crap brands I'd appreciate it!

ps, here's some progress:

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Need to know which forks to determine which caliper...... "Early finned" or "later smooth" type....
Pistons are somewhat different....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Yes it is a CB500 frame but I'll be using '72 CB450 forks/front end.

otr002, I'm interested if it will fit. What's shipping from from Oz?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ps, here's the engine. I recently got the parts back from the chromer and need to put the covers back on. Any tips for that? I kind of half-tried but they didn't want to go and I'm afraid to mess up the new finish!

And here's a picture with the side cover and the tank badge (barely affixed).

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
MayerMR said:
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Yes it is a CB500 frame but I'll be using '72 CB450 forks/front end.

As quoted in the post $60 all up! delivered to you door! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MayerMR said:
ps, here's the engine. I recently got the parts back from the chromer and need to put the covers back on. Any tips for that? I kind of half-tried but they didn't want to go and I'm afraid to mess up the new finish!
What "covers" do you mean?
Looks like it's all in place in the photo.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
otr002 said:
MayerMR said:

As quoted in the post $60 all up! delivered to you door! :lol: :lol:
I'll admit, I read it quick lol Paypal or what?

The covers I'm talking about are the top ones that hold the cams in place, they look to be in place in the photos but are just held there with a bolt.

Znabb, thanks very much I'm quite proud of it!

I'm actually kind of torn right now. I've made a deal to trade this bike for a '75 Triumph Trident that is in beautiful shape but has a broken kick starter and 12,xxx miles. I almost don't want to but I love Triumphs. I can pretty easily reproduce this bike (money being the limiting factor) but can't really find many NICE tridents...

I'll probably make the trade...

Oh here are the powdercoated wheels:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Uh oh. The cam covers involve quite a bit more work than just bolting them back on. They're actually the cam bearings if you could call them that. :lol:

It'll probably, from my understanding, involve removing or loosening the cam chain tensioner, and hoping like hell that you can slip them on while lining up the cams and torsion bars to the covers..

I'm not that familar with the inner workings of it just yet. I understand the concept of the engines internal parts, just no practical experience just yet.

Bill or Steve will likely come along shortly with the best route to take..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bird76Mojo said:
Uh oh. The cam covers involve quite a bit more work than just bolting them back on. They're actually the cam bearings if you could call them that. :lol:

It'll probably, from my understanding, involve removing or loosening the cam chain tensioner, and hoping like hell that you can slip them on while lining up the cams and torsion bars to the covers..

I'm not that familar with the inner workings of it just yet. I understand the concept of the engines internal parts, just no practical experience just yet.

Bill or Steve will likely come along shortly with the best route to take..

GB :mrgreen:
Bill! Steve! I can't rebuild it until y'all help me! :D

Bird, I think you're right but I just wanted to get the correct scheme of manuever instead of jacking something up

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
MayerMR said:
Uh oh...what if it isn't broken? Do I need to break it? I'd really rather not if I can avoid it.
Uh, yeah, if you ever want to get the cams in and timed up properly.
How did you get it all apart???

Did you read the "article"???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tbpmusic said:
MayerMR said:
Uh oh...what if it isn't broken? Do I need to break it? I'd really rather not if I can avoid it.
Uh, yeah, if you ever want to get the cams in and timed up properly.
How did you get it all apart???

Did you read the "article"???
I got them out with good ole perserverance (and apparently beginner's luck)...I even have the cam chain tensioner still attached. I did this all before I really became handy with a wrench. I don't believe the cams have ever moved teeth from where they were set in the chain to begin with.

I did read the article but now I need to figure out how to break the cam chain...and evidently buy a few master links :?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so I went to work today and found (what I think is) the master link (pictures below). Now how do I break this chain?

ps, did a little extra work and soda blasted the nasty old gauges, repainted the cases after taping off the metal bits. I completely painted the indicator plate black and sanded it back down. Looks pretty nice!

Got a little touching up to do one some of the metal bezels because of some overspray!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The gauges look great.

To break the cam chain, just Dremel off the pin ends and tap the link out with a small punch.

To set the new link (once your cams are timed up) you'll need some sort of tool.......

It is unlikely you'll get the cam "bearings" back on with the cam chain still in place.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great I'll do that!

So when I bought my parts bike the bin that held the extra parts had a still-in-the-package genuine Honda part cam chain master link. It's the clipped kind. I assume there is some drawback to using this kind of masterlink but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks tbp!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts